Ford Transit Connect Forum

Dirtbag way to add another power point

Thanks to... 

...for the inspiration. That method is by far the more professional and proper way to add wiring. I just want another power point that is only live when the vehicle is on for a dash cam, along with it being in a more convenient spot for plugging in a dash cam. My half-ass lame way cuts a lot of corners.

First, I have a 2015 XL LWB wagon with virtually no options (just backup sensors and trailer towing package) so I got a lot of blank space where more fancy-pants TCs have useful accessories. Most important for this application is I just have an AM/FM radio with a storage bin above it where others might have a display for camera or SYNC or whatever else comes with XLT or optioning one out. So I decided for a dash cam I want to use that small bin space for a power point and ran wires down from the removable cover that is towards the front of the wagon from that bin. 

I removed that cover and moved the radio out of the way ala... 

I removed the glove box ala DonShockey's intructions above. I then found a hole that wasn't being used by the radio or cover clips on the right side to drop wires down to where I could grab from the glove box opening. I routed them semi-professionally using ties around to the right side of the vehicle. I then removed the front (right) door sill trim. FYI http://www.chiltondiy.com/ for I think $29 for a year subscription has a lot of info on how to remove things like this. I moved (but not removed) the little trim piece between the door sill and the glove box and fished the wire to the door sill, and just taped it down out of the way of the rivets and such. I think so far I am on roughly the same page as DonShockey's methods. 

I then remembered I had a cable fish tool, and was able to only move the weatherstripping of the sliding door out of the way and got lucky and "fished" to the front door, so I didn't have to remove the pillar trim piece or the sliding door sill trim piece. I just ran the wire where the weatherstripping would keep it all nice and snug. Instead of removing the load area side trim piece, I was able to pry and squish and weasel the wires behind the bottom of this large piece, and then ran it up to the Aux Junction Box. So everything is perfectly hidden and I think relatively safe and secure. I am waiting on the connection thingys talked about at...

... to finish putting this new circuit on a switched power fuse I identified (#43 I think). It looks like there is a Ground point right next to the AJB that I should be able to access without having to remove the big trim piece (I hope). For the power point, I just got one of those crappy cheap auto part store ones and used Velcro to attach it to the inside of the storage bin above the radio, drilled a hole on the top of the storage bin to run its wires to the ones I added. I might make something more permanent/professional later in conjunction with a stealth dash cam holder to discourage prying hands. 20 feet of wire covers the distance from this spot on top of the dash to the AJB with a little bit to spare.

Edited by rmcinak

1 hour ago, rmcinak said:

First, I have a 2015 XL LWB wagon with virtually no options (just backup sensors and trailer towing package) so I got a lot of blank space where more fancy-pants TCs have useful accessories. Most important for this application is I just have an AM/FM radio with a storage bin above it where others might have a display for camera or SYNC or whatever else comes with XLT or optioning one out.

My 2016 doesn't even have a backup sensor or tow package.  Same AM/FM and "screen delete option".  My sunglasses fit there.  

It appears that the aftermarket dash kit for upfitting head units all have a hole for the screen, and do not have an opening to accommodate my "airbag on/off" indicator light.  A head unit upgrade may be in my future.  Although, I don't know why.  A new stereo is not going to offer me much.

On 10/8/2016 at 4:14 PM, Fifty150 said:

My 2016 doesn't even have a backup sensor or tow package.  Same AM/FM and "screen delete option".  My sunglasses fit there.  

That's exactly where mine were until this, moved them to the door bin.

I am building a DIY pedestal for my dash cam, realized if I just put it right on the dash it is too low to capture things right in front of me that are at a lower height. The one I just got is a Garmin 35 which for some reason Garmin doesn't think one will ever want to remove it once it is in place as their windshield attachment is a permanent stick-on. There are some official pedestals out there for it if I fail at my attempts.

(Poorly) made a dashcam pedestal with a 4 inch piece of 2x2, wrapped in leftover mat material from my part-time camper conversion project, added a couple pieces of Velcro (to make it easily removable to hide in the storage bin below if desired), got some of the official connectors, used slot 43 for switched power, tied into the ground point right above the AJB, have a convenient spot to plug in my dash cam without its wires going all over the place and no longer have to worry about turning it off before the wagon sits for a while. Life is good! 

Plugging in the official connectors isn't difficult but I didn't have whatever official tool is used to seat them so it took a little bit of pushing with pliers and the edge of a screwdriver to do so. I'm sure there was an easy way I didn't know of.

I might further hide the dash cam wires under the plastic cover and maybe move how I have the added power point placed to improve appearance. 

addpp.JPG

You didn't have to fabricate that 2X2 block with velcro.  There are other options.

This folding monitor would sit nicely with a little velcro.

61N9WX4OKOL._SL1500_.jpg

This could also velcro onto your dash.

416iQ1i5A2L.jpg415hHm1GDiL.jpg61rE3Z23QaL._SL1200_.jpg

Or the rearview mirror monitor could have worked.

31n1lbkzfWL.jpg61FkKnlqGOL._SL1001_.jpg

Go for broke.  Install this unit into your sun visor, then all you would need to do is flip the visor down to see it, With the visor up, nobody will even know that you have it, and you won't have to worry about someone breaking into your car to steal it.

91sNJo6vg3L._SL1500_.jpg81JUUQXsg%2BL._SL1500_.jpg81GN8qaAZFL._SL1500_.jpg

Re the power ports, those look nice, fortunately everything is easily upgradeable later.

Re the dash cam, I received my cam as a gift so I had to work with the one I had, and didn't feel like shelling out anything for more official mounting bases. The half-ass mount I made gives me the flexibility to move/change at a later time without much love (or money) lost.