Ford Transit Connect Forum

2013 vintage SYNC: Replacement or SYUNK?

kxrf

In my new (to me) 2013 Transit Connect LXT Premium with Sync, I just got the iPhone connected, and... well... I'm a bit underwhelmed.  Audio, for me, is fine.  I don't need much.  Display is horrid, leaving me with voice commands which are worse, IMO.  I don't use the phone much, but as hands-free is mandated by law here in Maryland, I guess I may as well get on board.  I also have a 2014 Jetta, and it's phone functions are intuitive, straight forward, and readable; none of which applies to the SYNC system in the TC.  Silly me, I thought the phone display functions would have been routed to the central LCD display ala VW.  Little did I know, that display was unchanging, basically unprogramable.

I know as the cars progress through the years, the radio/nav is becoming the access point computer for the user driver experience, and more and more functions are contained within, (much like BMW's IDrive monstrosity)

So the question is How much of the TCs system does SYNC have its grubby little fingers into?  The eventual question is, if I get rid of the head unit, and replace with another, what functions will be lost?

Of course, radio, CD will be replaced in their entirety. 

Telephone functions will be replaced.  Will I be able to use the already built-in microphone with the new system? (Analog?)

Some new heads integrate with the steering wheel controls (as rudimentary as they are... Volume, input and phone is about it.)

As I understand it, the factory backup camera/mirror/display are integrated with SYNC? True or False?

Is the factory backup camera signal analog over coax to RCA plug, or CANBUS multiplexed? (or is there a third option, I hadn't even counted upon...?

I had read that an Ford upgrade mirror with rear-view w/temp and compass could be fit EXCEPT on SYNC equipped vehicles.  True or false?

Is the CANBUS network feeding the mirror/rearview display?

Switching of reverse cam based on gear selection is controlled - how? (CANBUS? Analog switch?)

No drivability or environmental controls are controlled in this early SYNC system, right?  

How about the rear parking sensors?  A separate system, independent of both the backup camera and SYNC?

How is SYNC integrated into the CANBUS architecture? 

As for things I could potentially gain or lose based on head choice, that is controlled. One thing. Nav. I'm not enamored with built-in nav.  At least the factory ones are slow, clunky, and always out of date. Software in them is always 3-4 years behind what you can get in this year's Garmin or TomTom. But, they're there.  Aftermarket built-in? I'm not sure of continuing map support.  Even Garmin and TomTom have screwed that pooch.  

Any insight into how this is all connected would be appreciated.

frank

You pair your iPhone with the head unit.

You say "Siri, call <person name>"

Once done you press the hang-up button on the steering wheel. It doesn't get any more intuitive than that. 

Forget about replacing the sync system, it turns on, plays radio, plays Bluetooth audio from your phone etc.

Hello kxrf, to get some of your questions answered, as per the 2010 Ford Wiring Diagrams (your 2013 should be the same), Powertrain Control Module (PCM)/Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) module/Steering Angle Sensor Module/Instrument Cluster(IC)/Speech Recognition Module(SRM)/Audio Control Module(ACM)/Generic Electronic Module(GEM)/Restraints Control Module(RCM)/Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS)Module/Occupant Classification System Module(OCSM) all have some CAN inputs/outputs. The microphone is analog into the SRM. The Parking Aid Sensors are not CAN and run into the PAM.

Hi, Luddite here.  

Thanks mrtn and 103west43rd for your responses.  I'm a point-and-click guy. My voice and any voice-recognition system have   n e v e r   gotten along well, whether it be (any) cell phone, phone voice response systems, etc.  The first and most useful command I learned was "CANCEL".  I can't be bothered.  That, and I have lots of other "customers" for my patience.  Inanimate objects kicking my a$$? I don't think so.  Given the call functions and other voice controls are pretty much useless to me (or I useless to them), I'll just ignore Sync.  That I use the phone so very little, probably a tempest in a teapot.  I can at least listen to news radio and maybe receive a call.  That is, if anybody ever calls. Which is another story altogether. 

103west43ed, thanks for the list of modules on the CANBUS.  Just having that information goes a long way to understanding the vehicle well beyond my original question.  Thanks! 

frank