Ford Transit Connect Forum

Factory Roof Rails revisited...

Hello everyone! I have a 2015 XLT LWB Van that I am using as a project vehicle for a new field study. I believe I have reviewed all posts regarding the OEM roof rails/rack and I agree that they are underrated, expensive and likely surpassed by many custom options. However, for a number of reasons (mostly, minimal aesthetic when not in use, adjustability of the cross-bars and aerodynamic low profile) I still want to go with the OEM option. In my case I don't have to worry about the price; the grant will pay for it.

Has anyone come close to purchasing and installing the OEM rails? It appears that there are two versions - longer rails for 2014-2015 and shorter ones for 2016+ My two closest dealers in NC are simply worthless with anything that requires a bit of research. A somewhat kind person at the Bangor, ME dealer (during a recent trip up there) looked into it further and seemed to think that it is possible to get the rails from the Wagon and install on the Van but he found it a bit more of a DYI than he (and I) would have expected for parts that should be identical between the Wagon and the Van. He expressed concerns about access to the attachment points from inside the vehicle to secure the rails particularly above the cabin headliner. I will appreciate any info the collective community might have on this. I have only 10 days to purchase and install the rack before the beginning of the next expedition.

Yes, it is the Cargo Van with head-trim only over the two front seats. I have easy access to 4 out of the 5 attachment points and it looks like I should be able to pull down the head liner to access the last one up front.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just remember that most of the roof racks will allow 175 - 200 lbs.  That's about the weight of a couple of ladders, perhaps a few hundred feet of conduit, or a few pieces of plywood.  Canoe, kayak, bikes, skis, snowboards, will all be just fine.  Be sure to strap down your mattress and box spring so that they don't fall off on the freeway.  Plenty of free ladders, buckets, hubcaps, and tools are already being offered.