Ford Transit Connect Forum

Performance Upgrades ?

I havent yet purchased a Transit but was considering it for it's Utilitarian Use. Considering Giving up our 08 Honda Accord for the Transit Wagon which we can also implement into using for Our Tile Business instead of using our Larger Super Duty everywhere we go. Only concern I have is the Power Output of the Motor and Trans. I live in Hawaii and I drive on a lot of Hills and Mountain Passes. Anyone did there Homework on Possible Mods such as Lightened Underdrive Pulleys, CAM Gears, Intake Set Up, Throttle Body, Programmer/Chip and Exhaust that are already available for the 2.0 used in the Focus? I plan to lower the Suspension as well and put some 225/17 or 18 Meat for Treads so any suggestions there would be Nice! If you have modified the Exterior if you could post Pics to help My Wife and I get a better Idea of What can be Done. I did pull this pic off of the Internet, Pretty Tight! I hope I haven't breached any Forum Rules by Requesting other Topic Material in this Thread. Mahalo Nui Loa

post-432-127300500377_thumb.jpg

I seriously doubt there's a combination of any little performance upgrades that'll make the Transit Connect happy with alot of hills, especially with any kind of load. You'll be running at 4000RPM+ all day.

P.S., reading your post with its random unnecessary capitalizations has made me seasick.

Edited by tone007

My Transit has 24k miles on it and most of it is going up and down a 2200 foot grade usually 3-4 times times daily at 65-70mph. Sure, it occasionally drops to third and even 2nd (which I detest) sometimes depending on load and which 18 wheeler I want to pass. But, I can always maintain 70 mph if I want. Unless you live on the Big island or Maui and run up the volcano's a lot you will have no problem.

I seriously doubt there's a combination of any little performance upgrades that'll make the Transit Connect happy with alot of hills, especially with any kind of load. You'll be running at 4000RPM+ all day.

P.S., reading your post with its random unnecessary capitalizations has made me seasick.

Sorry Bro But You Should have stop Reading. I hate for you To get Whoozy!

Did some quick research on the net and seems those RS4 Chips are a total scam. I figured so. It be hard to believe at even half they numbers they say.

ok so are there any that are not ?

i'm not looking for 50 hp more i would be happy with 10 to 15 and more torque

There is no cheap horsepower. You should figure about $100.00 per 1 HP, so if you want 10 to 15 HP you are going to spend about $1500.00. You could put a Focus turbo on it for about $3000.00 plus installation and tuning. The old addage HP = Money is still true. A cold air kit is the cheapest HP found to date.

There is no cheap horsepower. You should figure about $100.00 per 1 HP, so if you want 10 to 15 HP you are going to spend about $1500.00. You could put a Focus turbo on it for about $3000.00 plus installation and tuning. The old addage HP = Money is still true. A cold air kit is the cheapest HP found to date.

time will tell

Well based on the research I've done this is the tried and true 2.0 Ford has been using in the Focus for years. That being said a cold air intake will probably have to be modified or one mocked up on your own. Next is an Exhaust, which I haven't come across one so will need to be done by a local exhaust shop. If I end up getting a Transit, that's probably the two first mods I'll do to help with overall throttle response and power. There is also a 2.0 Throttle Body that can be found for the Focusl that I came across. I think the biggest change for the amount of money will be Cam gears and underdrive pulleys. So as mentioned above for around 15-25 hp more it'll likely end up costing around $1200-$1500. Personally that's a very decent increase in power for such a small displacement and not bad considering the cost. Question is who'll be the first. I hope it's not me or I'll be the guinea pig.

By the way a Turbo will definately require a different tranny as the stock won't hold up for to long so I think a turbo investment I'll leave for those using the Transit as a Project Car. That's a whole lot of dough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I put a set of 225/60R17's on my 2010 XLT. I don't recommend it, but they do fit with a slight rub. If you turn the steering to the stop, either right or left, you will get a slight rub. The fiber inner liner on the rear wheel well needs to be trimmed a little. Otherwise, I am happy with the look. The tires are a little over 2" in overall diameter bigger than stock, which fits the wheel wells nicely, but it will throw your sppedo reading off by about 6%.

T.

I havent yet purchased a Transit but was considering it for it's Utilitarian Use. Considering Giving up our 08 Honda Accord for the Transit Wagon which we can also implement into using for Our Tile Business instead of using our Larger Super Duty everywhere we go. Only concern I have is the Power Output of the Motor and Trans. I live in Hawaii and I drive on a lot of Hills and Mountain Passes. Anyone did there Homework on Possible Mods such as Lightened Underdrive Pulleys, CAM Gears, Intake Set Up, Throttle Body, Programmer/Chip and Exhaust that are already available for the 2.0 used in the Focus? I plan to lower the Suspension as well and put some 225/17 or 18 Meat for Treads so any suggestions there would be Nice! If you have modified the Exterior if you could post Pics to help My Wife and I get a better Idea of What can be Done. I did pull this pic off of the Internet, Pretty Tight! I hope I haven't breached any Forum Rules by Requesting other Topic Material in this Thread. Mahalo Nui Loa

post-432-127300500377_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Re the oil filter

Back around 1970, I installed a 'toilet paper oil filter' on my VW. Kept the oil NEW looking, had to use a specific type though[e.g. two ply or something] I really don't know what became of those.

I change the oil every 3,000 miles on my Focus 04 wagon, got 180,000 miles too. I was going to run it to 400,000 to 500,000 miles, except a drunk sideswiped/totaled both of my Focuses. Now I have a TC

• 3 months later...

I too have been looking at the TC as a possible project car (own a car audio & tuning shop) but the truth is the Duratec 20 motor is just maxed out in the current config. Already at 10:1 compression ratio means adding boost requires lots of work (rebore + low compress pistons, head flowed & new gasket, bigger valves, fuel pump & injectors ) to get the compression down to 7:1...not to mention the 40 hours it will take to custom fit the turbo into the motor - HEADACHE. This is a shame really when you look at what Ford - well VOLVO actually - has done with the Duratech 20 engine. The 2011 Focus ST produces 247HP from a normally aspirated 2.0L (built in Mexico & tuned in Detroit) well above the 100HP/1.0L ratio.

More likely to sit on the sideline - sad since the Euro's have already been tuning these - until Ford offers motor options; like the 2.5L used in the Focus RS

I too have been looking at the TC as a possible project car (own a car audio & tuning shop) but the truth is the Duratec 20 motor is just maxed out in the current config. Already at 10:1 compression ratio means adding boost requires lots of work (rebore + low compress pistons, head flowed & new gasket, bigger valves, fuel pump & injectors ) to get the compression down to 7:1...not to mention the 40 hours it will take to custom fit the turbo into the motor - HEADACHE. This is a shame really when you look at what Ford - well VOLVO actually - has done with the Duratech 20 engine. The 2011 Focus ST produces 247HP from a normally aspirated 2.0L (built in Mexico & tuned in Detroit) well above the 100HP/1.0L ratio.

More likely to sit on the sideline - sad since the Euro's have already been tuning these - until Ford offers motor options; like the 2.5L used in the Focus RS

You know that our FSWerks turbo kit has already been installed on a Transit here right? On a stock engine. And stock trans aside from a trans cooler. It works just fine. And just for the record, I had 8:1 compression pistons in my built turbo Focus engine and I thought it was too low. No need to go that low. For a built engine that is going to be used on the street and track 9:1 compression is the sweet spot. We have a built D20 pushing 396 WHP and a built D23 pushing 436 WHP.

If Ford ever decides to throw a manual trans in these Transits I'd imagine we'd make more parts for these things.

With the current FSWERKS setup I am not sure where we are at on HP, but it is probably above 200. Once we have the electronic boost controller in we can push it more, but even where it is, the van is awesome. I've put 500 miles on it since the install and have been driving a little more spirited now and then. Most people that I take for a ride just smile and laugh. They can't believe it. The van is a real contradiction. You hear the big turbo whoosh and it puts you back in your seat a little bit.

I think the real value of the turbo comes out on the highway. Its not a sports car, but it is drivable and you can cruise at 80mph in the wind with no problems.

As for the transmission... With the extra cooler on it, I have not seen temps above 150. Granted, the highest outside temp has been 90, so it will be interesting to see what happens this summer. I don't feel that I am abusing it really..

• 2 weeks later...

With the current FSWERKS setup I am not sure where we are at on HP, but it is probably above 200. Once we have the electronic boost controller in we can push it more, but even where it is, the van is awesome. I've put 500 miles on it since the install and have been driving a little more spirited now and then. Most people that I take for a ride just smile and laugh. They can't believe it. The van is a real contradiction. You hear the big turbo whoosh and it puts you back in your seat a little bit.

I think the real value of the turbo comes out on the highway. Its not a sports car, but it is drivable and you can cruise at 80mph in the wind with no problems.

As for the transmission... With the extra cooler on it, I have not seen temps above 150. Granted, the highest outside temp has been 90, so it will be interesting to see what happens this summer. I don't feel that I am abusing it really..

So, Comon' Man!

I'm dying to turbo my Transit. I'm not afraid of hurting the tranny or the engine.

Heck if it blows....they are a dime a dozen out there.

So......Show me the kit! I'm ready to git 'er done!

T-Dawg

• 6 months later...

I am hearing a lot of talk about Turbos and how much power they add. How is miles per gallon affected? How is the oil affected by passing thru the Turbo? Assuming that engine oil lubes it. How long will the Turbos last before they need a rebuild? My knowledge on Turbos is dated and memories of them are not good on the questions I ask.