Ford Transit Connect Forum

$150 dealer licensing fees

Here in Washington State a dealer is allowed to charge up to $150 for them to do the paperwork to collect taxes and licensing fees. When I bought my new TC I negotiated it to zero but when I went into finance it was added back into the deal and I ended up paying it. Then two days later I get an online survey from Ford Motor Company asking how my purchase went and I told them about the $150 being added back into the deal. Two hours later I get a call from the dealer saying they will refund my $150 and asked if I would reconsider my review.

I checked into this a few weeks ago. The dealer is allowed to charge a processing fee for filing DMV paperwork.

It's probably a bargain considering you don't have to deal with your DMV

See the link below

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

I'm in CA, the max fee a dealer can charge is $80, which is reasonable. Anything above that I would consider too much.

Washington's max fee is $150. That number sounds familiar, doesn't? ;)

Glad you were able to get this fee removed.

I checked into this a few weeks ago. The dealer is allowed to charge a processing fee for filing DMV paperwork.

It's probably a bargain considering you don't have to deal with your DMV

See the link below

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

I'm in CA, the max fee a dealer can charge is $80, which is reasonable. Anything above that I would consider too much.

Washington's max fee is $150. That number sounds familiar, doesn't? ;)

Glad you were able to get this fee removed.

The thing was I negotiated it to zero. Had they not done so I would not have bought it. Then it showed up in the final bill. I posted a very negative comment on their website and they want me to remove it. I also wrote a very negative review on the Ford Motor Company survey.

I guess they really do care about those reviews. Interesting. As far as the fee goes, can you imagine doing dozens of them a week? I bet it gets pretty easy, after a while, and is accomplished in only a few minutes.

The thing is you can do it yourself for free by going directly to the DMV or to one of the private DMV places and get it done for $5.

Oh well then, thats altogether different. If one chooses to be waited on, he has to be willing to pay for it I suppose. Still, if they offered to do it for nothing, then thats what should've happened.

Edited by Willie