Ford Transit Connect Forum

Covering Alarm Sensors so that we can remain inside vehicle when camping

Have a 2022 XLT LWB and want to lock us in while camping. I have tried setting the alarm for perimeter only, but the sensors still sensed movement and activated the alarm.

Then I covered the sensors and that does prevent the alarm from activating but I'm concerned that the manual clearly states "Do not cover the interior sensors." Is that Ford's way of protecting us or can it actually harm the alarm system?

Also, by covering the sensors, it prevented the touch screen from going dark as it remained in the blue background mode.

Any help/advice appreciated.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:49 PM, Jancy said:

Have a 2022 XLT LWB and want to lock us in while camping. I have tried setting the alarm for perimeter only, but the sensors still sensed movement and activated the alarm.

Then I covered the sensors and that does prevent the alarm from activating but I'm concerned that the manual clearly states "Do not cover the interior sensors." Is that Ford's way of protecting us or can it actually harm the alarm system?

Also, by covering the sensors, it prevented the touch screen from going dark as it remained in the blue background mode.

You may be able to permanently disable the interior sensors using Forscan (search this forum and the internet for Forscan info). There may be a configuration setting to select perimeter alarm only. I can't check using my vehicle (2016 TC) because the 2022s are probably different. Changing the configuration is the cleanest way because the programming will not try to use the sensors and it will communicate this to all the other affected modules. You will have to connect Forscan using a PC every time you want to change it back (not practical for frequent changes).

• 3 months later...
On 8/3/2022 at 5:49 PM, Jancy said:

Instead of looking it up, I'll ask you ☺️. What are the sensors of which you speak? When I spent the night in my TC, I locked with my key fob and twice, the alarm went off. I was so freaked out. It was 10 o'clock at night and I was in a KOA full of RVs, I was so embarrassed! I FaceTimed(called) my hubby and at first he told me to put my key in the ignition. I did for a few minutes, then didn't think it was a good idea (maybe use up battery or confuse the system or something). So I reached to the driver's door and manually locked the car from the door. It didn't go off again.  I slept with my key in my hand in case I had to turn the alarm off again. Since then I have practiced in my yard, staying inside with the doors shut and locking from the driver's door and haven't had that happen again. Any one have info or advice? 

• 2 months later...

That’s great news! I have a ‘21 and thought I read in my owners manual that the fob would deactivate itself if locked inside the vehicle more than 45 minutes. A deactivated fob would be no fun. So, I just never locked it while camping in it. I’m glad to know I can lock it. Thanks for posting.