Ford Transit Connect Forum

Anyone converted to camper, but kept ONLY third row seats?

bastian

I just bought a 2015 TC LWB wagon a few weeks ago. I'm planning on taking the winter to convert it into a comfy weekender for MTB trips. I want to retain the ability to carry a few passengers, but I definitely don't need to be able to haul 7 people. Mountain bikes are already riding on a RockyMounts swing-away hitch rack.

My first plan was to remove the third row and, in their place, install some drawers for a pull-out kitchen. On top of that would be a bed that would slide out over the folded 2nd row seats. All it would really leave room for in "camping mode" would be room to sleep.

After doing some more research and watching more videos, I'm realizing that it would be nice to have the ability to hang out inside the van and maximize "living space." I'm wondering whether anyone has removed only the second row of seats and left the third row intact. My idea would be to put a kitchen setup just behind the driver+front passenger seats, leave the third row seats as a place to sit and hang out but also to be used for legally carrying passengers with seat belts. To sleep, you'd fold the third row down and slide out a bed platform (potentially stored behind third row seats)?

I have yet to take measurements to see if my idea is feasible, but I wanted to see if anyone has done something like this that I could pull inspiration from. If not, is there some major obstacle that I'm not considering?

I have a passenger wagon.  I've removed nothing.  Just pack gear that I want, and go.  I set up camp when I get there.  Then sleep inside the van with the seats folded down.  It's cozy.  I decided that I wasn't living out of the van.  Just camping.  All of the things like camp stoves, utensils, whatever, can be unpacked at the campsite.  I didn't need to drive around everyday with my camping gear built into the back of my van.  

• 2 weeks later...

I like your idea, Bastian.

I just bought a 2020 FTC PW.  I'm not ready to make permanent mods to it yet.  I'd like to add a removable sleeping platform that sits atop The folded-down 2nd row and 3rd row seats.  Maybe a plywood panel sitting on a 2x4 frame.  Easily removable. Not bolted in.

Then on top of the plywood, I could place a 5" thick foam mattress.

And I would just use this configuration for weekend camping trips.  After camping, I would remove and store the platform and mattress in my garage.  Then the car reverts to a 6-passenger daily driver.

I'm going to first try what the other gentleman said, just folding the seats down, putting a camping air mattress on top, then my sleeping bag, and see how comfortable it is.  That sounds like a really simple test.

When I read about people sleeping in their FTCs, many talk about condensation.  Some leave the window open a bit.  Some use little electric fans.  The most serious actually cut a hole in the roof and install an electric fan.  It will be interesting to see if I experience condensation after sleeping overnight in the car.

Edited by Webguyjv

Thanks for the input, Fifty150. I did plenty of that car-camping, but I bought this van specifically to make it a comfortable place for longer road trips. My idea is to make the setup and tear-down of camp as quick and easy as possible. I totally respect the minimalist approach, though!

Webguyjv, I'm right there with you. I'm not planning anything "permanent", but I more mean that I'm not planning anything irreversible at this stage (i.e., not cutting any holes in the roof for a fan just yet). I might go the hole-in-the-roof approach someday, but that's definitely a more permanent approach. For now, I'm likely going to just fashion some bug screens and use a couple clip-on battery or 12v fans on the rear passenger windows.

I think I'm going to go with my original idea of a simple drawer system bolted in where the third row seats were. It will be easy enough to unbolt if I sell the van and don't want to sell it private-party as a camper. Something like this: https://www.contravans.com/5-passenger-van-conversion

On a fun note, my 12v fridge just arrived and the battery is on the way ?