• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
maritimesbob

2004 coolant leak

Hi all,

I have a 2004 tdci connect. I noticed today when the van was on a slope, engine facing down there was some coolant leaking down through by the crank pulley. On level ground there is very little leakage if any.

Probably the water pump gasket has perished? Is there anything else this side of the engine that could leak water? It's dry around the head and top end of the block.

Attached a couple of pics, thanks.

leak1.jpg

20200909_110000.jpg

Yes there is a shaft seal at the water pump  on that side of the engine. 

Does it leak when the engine is running?Does it leak when the van sits?

No, seems to be only when sitting still and only when the engine is on a slope downward. That's why I was thinking the gasket has perished as coolant will be sitting inside the pump and dripping out?

If the gasket at the water pump was leaking it would leak a lot.Sounds like a pressure test is needed to see where the Antifreeze is coming from.

Fitted a new water pump and gasket this morning. It does seem to have been leaking from the pulley shaft area. Anyways, fitted up and taken for a drive. Nice and dry under there. Hopefully sorted now, oh and the chirping noise is gone!

There is a weep hole under the Pump pulley , sounds like you found it , Great Job.