Ford Transit Connect Forum

Swingining Bike Carrier (Hitch Mount) for Transit Connect with Rear Cargo Doors

Has anyone found a hitch mounted bike carrier (rack) that can swing the bikes out of the way so that the rear cargo doors (not hatch model) can open to at least 90 degrees or preferably the full 180 degrees?

Basically, I'd like to get full access to the back without taking the bikes off... any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

I made my own, using a standard swing down bike rack and a dual hitch extension I got from UHaul. No extra parts required - just had to get a bit creative, rearranging the mounting plates to fit the extension. 

http://www.brainfartz.com/images/ranger/bike-rack-(4).jpg

(Board won't let me post images direct any more. Silly new HTTPS rules I expect.)

Anyway - this allows me to haul a couple bikes AND tow a small trailer at the same time. Works nice with the TC. Pull the pin to let the bikes drop to the ground, and it even let me open the tail gate on my ranger. Nice feature is the extension comes off easily with the rack, allowing me to use a standard hitch for hauling a utility trailer or whatever.

Edited by sKiZo

Very interesting sKiZo. I am hoping for a swing to the side rack though to clear the bikes totally out of the way when the doors open.

I've also thought about somehow building something that attaches to the doors directly, as they already do the swinging motion I want, but I'm not sure if the hinges would hold up to that and kinda worried about modifying the door...