Ford Transit Connect Forum

Tow Harness Kit but DIY Install.

I need to find the Taillight and Blinker wires in the harnesses back aft,  in the rear compartments.

I have no wiring diagrams. Color codes may help.

If no then maybe I am able to find em with a buddy working the brakes and blinker and me on the multimeter probing.

I watched a few vids by etrailer and the Tech takes the grey connectors down to get some slack, Not sure how he is doing that. They are clipped in.

Any tips?

Backgorund

Love my 2015 TC LWB Cargo Machine. I installed a U HAUL Hitch. Now I will go for the Wiring Harness.

My 2006 F150  pooched a BCM and I wonder if it was with a fault on one of  my trailers. 

For the TC I splurged on a ZCI Tekonsha  (Zero Connect) for isolation from the BCM (I don't like BCMs).

Much Obliged.

Doog

Here's a mockup I made by combining the drawings for my 2015 wiring manual with the wiring instructions for the Ford OEM trailer wiring accessory kit. Also a couple other pages from the trailer wiring and connectors section of the manual. These photos were from 2017 when somebody else was looking at installing a trailer connector. IIRC, the FORD OEM kit was pretty straight forward in the connection instructions but did require tapping into existing wiring by stripping and soldering in wires in a couple spots. I did find the instructions online somewhere but can't find the link now.

20170927_075240.jpg

20170927_075231.jpg

20170927_075141.jpg

Don

Thanks a million for what you posted.

I  just finished the install.

I used a ZCI Tekonsha 119251 kit.

Drivers Side aft panel (partial) and access cover removed.

Popped out the Taillight Grey Connector(s) in the metal work. 

Peeled back the hockey tape on the above's harness.

Found the signals (guessed on one of them) using a Volt Meter (Multi-meter on 20V dc) .

Installed the couplers  (sensors/pickups/inputs) noting the arrow direction as per Tekonshan instructions .

Rinsed and repeated on the Starboard side for the remaining lone Coupler (Right hand Signal aka Blinker).

Had to do a start-up routine to let  the module "learn" the system.

This was with the 13.8V fused  feed line run jury rigged outside the vehicle to the Van's Battery.

Will install the feed line proper tomorrow.

Hopefully no issues down the line with Trailer faults causing gremlins in the TC's  electronics.

Here are some tidbits in context to the ZCI Tekonsha 119251 and its instructions :

The North American 2.5l 2015 LWB TC  incorporates a 3 wire  rear light system (trailer wiring jargon).

I used all 3 sensors supplied (some systems like 2 wire vehicles you drop one of the couplers).

Wire colours below may need verification on your TC.

ZCI Tekonsha 119251                                                   TC Taillight Harness Grey Connector.

Turn Sig Left ...(YLw Tag)-------------------------------------------Gry/Brn wire Port side (Pulsating DC Voltage with left Blinker energized at the steering column).

Stop................ (Red Tag).............................................Purple wire Port side (not sure of signal or voltage).

Tail.................. (Brn Tag)..............................................Brn/Purp wire Port side (12.8 V with Light Switch at the steering column rotated full clockwise to on).

Turn Sig Right (Grn Tag)--------------------------------------------Grn/Brn wire Starboard side (Pulsating DC Voltage with Right Blinker engaged).

Thanks DON and thanks forum.

Schematics are so awesome in any situation.

Cheers

Doog