Ford Transit Connect Forum

TPMS Observations

Hal

Last Monday I put new wheels and tires on my TC. I did not install the TPMS units in the new wheels. I left them in the old wheels which did not have the tires dismounted. I brought the old wheels home and put them on a shelf in the garage. It took ~50 miles of driving for the TPMS light to come on which it did on Wednesday.

The TC was parked outside from Monday thru Saturday evening. Saturday evening I put the TC in the garage and the wife's car outside since we were going to use it on Sunday. The TC remained in the garage until this morning (Monday) when I switched vehicles. I was running some errands around town when I noticed that the TPMS light was OUT.

Obviously the presence of the sdensors in the garage reset the light. I am wondering how long I can get away with reseting the TPMS light by just parking the TC in the garage overnight?

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Nearly 5 weeks later and the sensors will still reset the light if I put the TC in the garage overnight. Which brings up an interesting point.

When I was researching the TPMS system everything I found said that if the sensors were not in the tire being spun they would not function. That is why the idea of making some pressurized tanks to put them in was rulled out. Now I'm finding that they work just sitting on the shelf in the general vicinity for ~3 times longer than my research siad they would.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I put the TC in the garage last night and the TPMS did not reset which it did last week So it looks like the TPMS sensors will continue transmitting for ~2 1/2 months with out being rotated. But they do eventually run down so the air tank idea will not work.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: The TPMS light stayed on all thru the month of December even when the TC was parked in the garage where the old wheels with sensors are. However, on New Years Eve I noticed that the light was out. The TC hadn't been in the garage for a week. Now a week has passed and the light has not come on.

I have not pulled any fuses or done anything that would cause the light to go out. I don't think that the light would have burned out since my service manual seems to indicate it is an LED. Is it possible that since the computer has not gotten any signal for a month that it just shut down?

• 11 months later...

UPDATE: Don't know what was going on last December but after a year it is still working the same. If I drive more than ~30 miles non stop the light will come on. If I then put it in the garage with the old wheels and tires it will reset overnight. If I don't drive over 30 miles non-stop just my normal around town errand running, it never comes on at all.

I thought that since it has been over a year without the old wheels with the TPMS just sitting on a shelf in the garage that the light should not reset (batteries would be run down). But that does not seem to be the case.