Ford Transit Connect Forum

Side View Camera

I bought my 2018 LWB Cargo without the sliding door glass and soon realized it was going to be a problem.  My neighborhood has a lot of angled parking spaces and even with a passenger looking through the front door window AND me looking at the factory backup camera, I have a total blind spot.  So I thought I would try a camera on the side before I spent the money to have a slider glass installed.   I have had the side view camera for a couple of weeks now and thought I would share the results.  Overall I am happy with it.  However, the wide angle lens really distorts the distances.  So basically, I would not recommend it as a total replacement for the slider glass.  However, it is a whole lot better than nothing and I would probably add it even with the glass.  It took several days to figure what I wanted and how I was going to install it.  Now that I know whats involved it would take about a day to install.  Total cost was a little over $200 :

Camera  48.99

Monitor  69.99

Taxi Panel 21.89

Taxi Switch  23.71

Shipping costs 25.00

Wire, Terminals, Etc 20.00

I could have done for about $60 less if I had just drilled a hole in the "coin holder" panel and installed a $6 dollar toggle switch, but its a new vehicle so at this point I'm already broke ?

I added a photo album if anyone is interested in the details and below are some pics that will give you an idea.

View of Jeep beside me with door open

283208152_dooropen.thumb.jpg.0f9b9eac9a2f7fac7c074d3838e3cbe7.jpg

View with door closed and Jeep in camera

1213210982_doorclosed.thumb.jpg.e5a5b6e16068a4e8dde96c756aebd990.jpg

View of the camera ( blurry because I holding my phone with one hand while getting it close enough to simulate my view)

view.thumb.jpg.4efc12430d3c93d4ed8496fcb48b5008.jpg