Ford Transit Connect Forum

FORD, any news on possible diesel for USA? or at least a manual trans.

odinthewanderer

alright

i know it has been asked, but i wondered if anyone had any new info on it.

any news if ford is interested in planning on bringing a diesel variant of the transit connect to the US? or am i just dreaming. A manual trans would be nice too.

i first saw the transit connect in ireland, actually as a guinness quality team van, and was hooked by the size and nature of the thing.

before i say anything else, i will state the needs i have that a vehicle needs to fill.

i plan to start a small farm up in the north east, so i want a small vehicle with seating for 5 for the family to go into town, but with a large payload area for everything i would need to haul around and transport.

i would also like to be able to use it for camping trips, pulling a small fiberglass camper.

i basically need a utility vehicle, but i dont want the tech laden stuff that virtually everyone else offers.

I like the transit.

i like its looks, it has a nice scrappy character about it. charming like your favorite dog.

i like the no nonsense interior

i like the utility aspect.

i like that i can get it without the techno garbage i could care less about.

i dont want ford my touch.

i dont want ford synch.

and i especially dont want to pay for them when i dont want them.

as far as options go

just a radio with an aux jack.

heat, and maybe ac

i would like decent mileage, and i really do not see what the transit gets now with the gasoline engine as decent. and honestly i think it is probably a major turnoff for others that would otherwise march right in and buy one.

diesel would solve that. plus the characteristics of a diesel probably would fit what the what most people feel the transit needs to do better than the gas engine currently offered in the us.

i personally would like a manual trans, but while i hate to say it, that wont stop the majority of people from buying one, just because it does not come in one trans or the other.

but for me it would. i would have to live and work with the thing long term, and i just get bored with autos. i like to drive while i am driving:)

the transit connect fits the bill of what i need, the euro one does anyway.

when it comes time that i need a vehicle for the farm, i seriously would go out and get a transit connect if offered in euro spec, otherwise i will probably just put together another volvo 245 for the job.

i currently have 2 volvo 240s and a subaru baja. i will be selling the subaru when i move, as it no longer meets my needs. the old rwd volvos are easy to work on maintain and modify to specific needs.

as far as MPG my 92 volvo 245 (b230 2.3 8valve four, bosch lh2.4 injection, stock at the time) got literally 29-30 mpg doing 70-80 on the highway when i moved down from PA to here for my wifes current job. this was with the wagon totally loaded. tools, welder, guitars, amplifier, books, appliances, metal working and shop stuff, and so on, and with the spare strapped to the roof. every nook and cranny was packed with clothes and what not. my dog sat in the front passenger seat with stuff packed around him.

i would want my new vehicle to do that or better.

anyone in a like position?

would you go out and buy a diesel transit right now if they were available?

any other news of a like vehicle coming out that would have a diesel and a manual?

comments?

thanks guys, i am new here. take care!

matthew

Unfortunately I don't have any news to give you about the diesel. I'm hoping since the Transit Connect is due for near-future redesign (since, as you mentioned, it's been out in Europe for years already) that maybe Ford will at least offer a diesel or an Ecoboost engine as an option. I'm in the minority here on this forum it seems when it comes to this topic, but the previous-gen Focus-sourced engine and transmission are not up to the demands of this vehicle. They qualify as barely adequate. I like manuals too, but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that given what I do for a living; stop-and-go rush hour traffic is unpleasant driving a stick. What I'd really like is a 5 or 6 speed automatic, with some capacity for "manual" shifting. The 4F27E isn't actually that old of a design but it sure seems like it with only 3 gears + overdrive and no special "manual mode" available.

I can see how a manual would be useful off road, however, or if you don't have to spend a lot of time stuck in traffic.

If you do get a Transit Connect some time off in the future and plan to use it on dirt/gravel roads, do yourself a favor and upgrade to tires more suited for off road/all terrain driving. The OEM tires are absolutely terrible in the dirt in my experience. Actually they're not that great on the road either but what are you gonna do.

Unfortunately I don't have any news to give you about the diesel. I'm hoping since the Transit Connect is due for near-future redesign (since, as you mentioned, it's been out in Europe for years already) that maybe Ford will at least offer a diesel or an Ecoboost engine as an option. I'm in the minority here on this forum it seems when it comes to this topic, but the previous-gen Focus-sourced engine and transmission are not up to the demands of this vehicle. They qualify as barely adequate. I like manuals too, but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that given what I do for a living; stop-and-go rush hour traffic is unpleasant driving a stick. What I'd really like is a 5 or 6 speed automatic, with some capacity for "manual" shifting. The 4F27E isn't actually that old of a design but it sure seems like it with only 3 gears + overdrive and no special "manual mode" available.

I can see how a manual would be useful off road, however, or if you don't have to spend a lot of time stuck in traffic.

If you do get a Transit Connect some time off in the future and plan to use it on dirt/gravel roads, do yourself a favor and upgrade to tires more suited for off road/all terrain driving. The OEM tires are absolutely terrible in the dirt in my experience. Actually they're not that great on the road either but what are you gonna do.

yup, the right good tires are everything.

i cannot help but think a right hand drive transit would make a great rural mail carrier vehicle. it would also be a fantastic replacement for a small pickup in rural and ag situations. with proper offerings and marketing i think ford could do well in that segment. the transit with the rear bench could be used for work with it up, and it could still be used as family vehicle when it was needed. a small pickup that has as much room for people just does not have the cubic footage the transit offers. if played right, and with the right equipment it could make a good replacement for the ranger. but that doesn't mean it will sell that way.

still, the US is not used to using small vans. we use pickup trucks here for the stuff they use vans for in europe.

honestly i think hondas element would have survived here if marketed properly. it was marketed towards a group of people that did not have the money for it. how does that work?

the element would have been a great small business vehicle if tailored more for it, and marketed more for it.

people in the us like and trust honda. and i am sure a lot wanted what the element had to offer, just honda did not "sell" them it.

i really liked the first incarnation of the element, though i never understood why it had cup holders instead of a third seatbelt. that seems to be the trend these days, but do as many people really want slight convenience over versatility as the marketeers think.

i saw the video review on here showing how the back seat folds up, and the reviewer says he really would not want to use it for his family car then comments about the lack of mass cup holders.

to me that makes no sense. am i a monster because i will refuse to provide my family with gaming systems, TVs, and entertainment while they are in the car, and dont give them two cup holders each and a computer to plug into.

our nation has a debt problem, and on top of that people hem and haw over gas prices and better gas mileage and better emissions. so why the hell do we want to pay extra for unneeded comfort convenience and entertainment items like 30 way electric adjustable seats, sound deadening to make your car sound quiet as a library, technogarbage gimmicks, and junk that just make our cars cost more and weigh more. toss the crap and save your money on fuel and on your auto bill. everything is excess, and i guess excess sells.

an automakers products performance that applies to its function should speak for its self and sell the vehicle. i hate this war of one upping with tech garbage.

anyway, enough of my soap box.

does ford still plan to manufacture the transit here in 2013?

on the manual bit...

i am suffering while sitting in traffic no mater what, so i really dont mind the manual trans in that regard. in my opinion, at least the manual gives me something to do and keep me in the mindset that i am actually still in a motor vehicle, but im not sure that is the general consensus:) i wonder if more stop and go accidents happen with automatics, due to the fact that people kinda check out while behind the wheel.

with a 3 speed auto with overdrive, i am not surprised it gets the mileage it does.

its funny you say you are in the minority, as i had found reviews about the connect grinding on its low performance, and mpg.

for most buyers in this day and age, van or not, a vehicle as small as the connect, with an engine as small as it has, just looks fishy when its said to get 25 mpg. The connect looks super thrifty, but then you see 25 mpg and it is a shock.

any idea if the 16 valve 2.0 duratorq ("puma") will fit in the transit connect? that would certainly give it more grunt.

i understand the main issue with the diesels is that, ford just does not have service for diesels established here. is that correct? or will it not meet emissions either?

thanks for the reply.

while we are on it,

what are your main praises of the connect,

and what are your main complaints.

take care!

matthew

I've been a TC owner for less than a week. Bought it used loaded w/options I'll never use like Work Solutions, the Dewalt Tool thing & bluetooth which sucks, which is too bad because I live on my phone for biz & was spoiled in my previous car. I got it cheap & it's design is almost perfect for work. If it was 6" longer & had a diesel (auto or MT) I'd have bought new. As it is, I accept it for what it is & I can deal with it. The lawnmower engine has me more than a little apprehensive, anticipating its longevity. I don't beat a car up, but I'm a little concerned.

...does ford still plan to manufacture the transit here in 2013?

on the manual bit...

i am suffering while sitting in traffic no mater what, so i really dont mind the manual trans in that regard. in my opinion, at least the manual gives me something to do and keep me in the mindset that i am actually still in a motor vehicle, but im not sure that is the general consensus:) i wonder if more stop and go accidents happen with automatics, due to the fact that people kinda check out while behind the wheel.

with a 3 speed auto with overdrive, i am not surprised it gets the mileage it does.

its funny you say you are in the minority, as i had found reviews about the connect grinding on its low performance, and mpg.

for most buyers in this day and age, van or not, a vehicle as small as the connect, with an engine as small as it has, just looks fishy when its said to get 25 mpg. The connect looks super thrifty, but then you see 25 mpg and it is a shock.

any idea if the 16 valve 2.0 duratorq ("puma") will fit in the transit connect? that would certainly give it more grunt.

i understand the main issue with the diesels is that, ford just does not have service for diesels established here. is that correct? or will it not meet emissions either?

thanks for the reply.

while we are on it,

what are your main praises of the connect,

and what are your main complaints.

take care!

matthew

I don't know about manufacturing it here. It was the talk a while ago, and I'm guessing it depends largely on how well the Transit Connect has been selling here. Regarding the van's performance, yeah the critics reviewing it agree with me... but the members here on this forum seem to be for the most part pleased with, or at least at peace with, the performance. I average about 23 mpg but presume that could be higher if I didn't flog the crap out of the engine getting up to speed. Regarding the diesel engines, the engine bay in the Transit Connect can probably accept any number of different Ford engines (with some modifications, of course). The lack of diesels here is usually excused by any number of different things, and it might very well not pass emissions... but I think it boils down to a fear that it simply won't sell based on buyers' previous exposure to diesels. With regard to trained service techs, they sell plenty of Super Dutys with diesels, they've got to be prepared to service those.

I like the upright and easily-accessible cargo area, I like the swing out doors (instead of a liftgate), the parcel shelf over the dashboard. I find it to be quieter and for the most part, more comfortable, than the Grand Caravan C/V I drove previously. I can have a conversation with a passenger at a normal volume, and I don't have to turn the radio up as loud to be able to hear it. It's small and easily maneuverable which is great for things like parallel parking. The reverse sensors are especially handy since I have no windows on the rear doors.

I don't like the horrible audio quality (or the Bluetooth, which nearly every person I talk to over it, says makes it sound like I am down in a well). I don't like the lack of power or the constant feeling that the van is straining to continue to propel me forward unless I am on straight and level ground. I also have problems with traction, which others here have said they do not have. It might boil down to the OEM tires, but I have lost traction on dry pavement trying to make it up steep driveways, and got stuck going uphill on a dirt road. I eventually made it but I had a hell of a time and was worried I might have done some damage (the transmission did not want to shift into park when I got to the top of the hill). The shape of the thing makes it susceptible to cross winds while driving. In medium to high winds I have really had to white-knuckle the steering wheel.

Some of my dislikes could be changed easily enough. In my case, this is a fleet vehicle that I do not own, so I'm not going to shell out my own money to do it.

Overall, I've been pretty pleased with my TC, even with the original transmission going bye- bye, but I, too, would love to see a diesel with a 5 speed, for all of the reasons previously stated.

I was hoping that when they started building them over here, we might have some addtional drivetrain options, but it seems (last I heard) that Ford has shevled plans for domestic production, because of not getting any concessions from the UAW, and not winning the taxi competition for NYC.

I'm glad to see someone else has had the same thought I did as to the potential suitability of a RHD version for rural mail carriers. I know that Subaru has (or, at least, had) a program for contract mail carriers to buy RHD Subis, and have seen a few of them over the years. Ford really ought to look into this.

• 10 months later...

I really hope that Ford sees this forum. It would sell one (or more) to me if I could get a diesel and 5 speed manual gear box. I see from the other forum that the Transit is being built at Kansas City. With a diesel. I may need to loook for this soon. I want to build one as an RV somehow, this is going to take a little research, and them comes the funding aspect. But I will keep my eyes and ears open. I'm lookinh forward to good news.

Dave Hall

First.....I also want a diesel.

Second.......Here are the facts (as I see them) why we will not have a diesel until, at least, model year 2015 (if then). Ford does not have a desiel engine that meets US standards that will fit into the Transit Connect. The diesels in the UK models, besides not meeting US standards, are slugs. The best posted 0-60mph (0-100 km) for a UK model is 14.4 seconds! That is 2 seconds slower than the US model. Who would want that engine?? Euro 6 emission standards (European Union/EU) go into effect September 2014. They are close enough to the US standards so Ford would not have to do major modifications to any EU diesel engines (the UK uses the EU standards) to pass US emission testing.

Third...... Is it worth Fords time/effort/money to add a diesel engine to the Transit Connect? The Flex and the Transit Connect are tied for the second lowest sales of any Ford vehicles in the US. Only the largest E series vans sell at a slower rate.

Finally...... I would trade in my 2010 Transit Connect for a diesel model IF IT HAD THE FOLLOWING.......automatic transmission (at least 5 speeds), 0-60 faster than what we have now, and 35 to 38 miles per gallon (I am now getting 25 to 28).

I'd still like an Ecoboost engine and a 6 (or more) speed transmission. In the near enough future, Ford will be unveiling the next gen of Transit Connect and then maybe we'll get answers to the questions about diesels and more power.

Frankly if I'm daydreaming what I'd really like is a Transit (the big boy) with a 3.5 liter Ecoboost. More power and more room for all my stuff.

Hi Odin:

I too like the simplicity and versatility of the TransConn.

On four lanes, at legal speeds, and with summer blend gas in the tank, I routinely get 30 mpg. I don't think that is terribly bad for a vehicle the size of ours. I love sports cars and even own one, but I just feel no desire to push the Transit that hard. I guess that is reflected in my mileage.

I have always driven manual transmission cars and still do. But in the TC, I think I'd rather have a more efficient automatic with more gears.

Willie

Diesel??-- forget it!

Think how many dealerships would have to train for diesel service. As it is now, if a mechanic can work on a Focus , that mechanic can work on a Transit Connect

People come up to me and ask about my TC

My reply:

"It ain't a Hummer with loads of power

and it ain't a Cadallac either, nice quiet ride

Nor is it a tin can with four wheels that gets 40 mpg

It is its own unique thing"