Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ham, CB or business radio

Any of you guys/gals mounted a ham,cb or business radio in your TC? Space in these things is very limited and I'd like to see what others have come up with. Antenna mounting is also a problem without cutting a hole in the body. Again, since this is a leased vehicle I do not want to drill/cut/beat/bang things that cannot be returned to original condition or at least very inconspicuous condition.

This antenna mounting is what I have about decided on.

SailPanel.gif

Right now my single radio is mounted on the shelf directly above my head and is a real PITA to see to make any adjustments/channel changes. I am thinking of moving it to the right side of the console as close to the dash as possible. I am on the road full time :shift: and the radios I had in my E250 mainly help me avoid backups on the highway due to accidents and construction. I have been running a CB and a scanner. A ham license in in my future if I ever get time but I'm more a listener than a talker.

As you can see on my '08 E250 the antennas are front fender lip mounted but the TC isn't going to work out that way.

090914van003.jpg

Ideas?????

Edited by ncranchero

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a collage of my antenna mount project. I think it came out pretty well. Now I just have to figure out convenient mounting inside for the radios.

NMOmountstage2complete.gif

NMOantennamount26.jpg

NMOantennamount31.jpg

Very nice installation. Here is what I did for an external antenna for my Ham Radio 2 meter handheld. I had purchased a third brake light from an European Ford Dealer. it fits in the upper left rear door where we have a blank panel. My plan was to remove the roof mounted third brake light and mount my antenna in the hole on the roof. The third brake light would be replaced by the light in the door. I decided not to deal with the problems trying to get the Transit Connect through state inspection because of the modification. What I did was drill a hole through the center of my European brake light (after removing the bulb mounting) and mounted a BNC right angle connector. I then ran a coaxial cable inside the left side of the van, through the flexible hose to the left door and then up to the brake light, now my antenna mount. I have the handheld sitting in the front cup holder in the center console. I am using a rubber duckie antenna and will continue to experiment with some homebrew mobile antennas.

OMG,you bought the Euro brake light then drilled a hole in it? I'd love to have the Euro light and I seriously doubt anyone here would know it wasn't what was supposed to be! Throw up a photo if you get the chance.

Thanks for the comment on mine!!

OMG,you bought the Euro brake light then drilled a hole in it? I'd love to have the Euro light and I seriously doubt anyone here would know it wasn't what was supposed to be! Throw up a photo if you get the chance.

Thanks for the comment on mine!!

I added a picture of the antenna mount to my Photo Gallery.

Let me know if you want the details of the UK dealer and the part number.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No problem. This was copied from my order.....

2010 Transit Connect Rear High Level Brake Lamp Assy

> Part Number: 4991573 (QTY1)

> Retail Price: £14.79

> You Pay: £11.91

> 2010 Transit Connect Rear High Level Brake Lamp Fasteners

> Part Number: 4554495 (QTY2)

> Retail Price: £1.75each

> You Pay: £1.58each

The first part number is for the complete assembly including the lamp holder and lamp. The second part number is for the large black thumb wheel style fasteners to hold the assembly in place. What I did not order were the two long screws required which I supplied. Multiply the English pound amounts by 1.60 to get the approximate dollar amount. I have been using FORDPARTSUK, Trevor Porter, for my Euro parts.