Ford Transit Connect Forum

Determining the Ford Tibbe Key Code

Determining the Ford Tibbe Key Code

On the Tibbe key used for the USA Transit Connect there are six cut positions and there are four levels of cuts. The key code starts at the bow end. If you observe closely, the Tibbe key has are two smooth ribs on either side of where the cuts occur. There are four levels of cuts 1, 2, 3 and 4. No cut is number 1 and cut four is easy to recognize as that is the most extreme cut and almost is even with the smooth rib. Cut 3 is .5 mm above the smooth rib and cut 2 is 1.0 mm above the smooth rib. I suspect cut 1 (no cut) is 1.5mm above the smooth rib (cut 1 might not be used). Using a magnifying glass imagine the different cuts as ‘steps’. So measure the top of the ‘step’ to the top of the smooth rib. Actually, obtain a caliper and open the jars to the specified distance and compare the distance. Actually cut 4 seems to be .1mm above the smooth rib.

Another Way to Identify Key Cut Positions

With respect to the middle of the key cut to the end of the key:

Key cut #1= 15.8 mm; key cut #2 =13.8 mm; key cut # 3=11.8 mm; key cut #4= 9.8 mm; key cut # 5 = 7.8 mm; key cut # 6 = 5.8 mm

Although not too useful , the cut levels are; level 1=0 degrees, level 2 = 11 degrees, level 3 = 24.3 degrees, level 4 = 35.3 degrees.

It is not necessary to know the key code if ordering from a Ford dealership as a manager can query the Ford system with your VIN to obtain your key code. However ordering from a third part vendor then this key code is necessary. Ordinarily there is a key code tag that is attached to one of the keys, but this can easily get lost. The Jaguar uses an eight-position Tibbe key with three different cuts and inserting the wrong key into a lock (Jaguar into Ford and reverse, might permanently jam up the lock). Everybody from the Ford dealership to an independent locksmith requires proof of ownership; usually the insurance card will be good enough.

Odds and Ends

There are unconfirmed reports saying any Ford Tibbe key can be used to lock the doors, sort of tough if you have two TCs and you left the correct set of keys inside the vehicle.

Any Ford Tibbe key can unlock and lock the gas cap cover-this is done so ripping off the cover does not yield the key code.

An unconfirmed report says the hood [engine bonnet] lock can be locked and unlocked by any Ford Tibbe key.

Stay away from E bay sellers that will sell Ford Tibbe key blanks as some of them do nor realize the difference between Jaguar and Ford Tibbe keys. Also those that do cut keys prefer to sell their own keys.

Soon to come a listing of any body that cuts Tibbe keys in North America

http://www.keysfast.info/

This outfit is in Canada and will make Ford Tibbe keys. They do mail-order but require proof of ownership and a copy of your Driver's License

Edited by Mikeeshaq

• 1 year later...

There are unconfirmed reports saying any Ford Tibbe key can be used to lock the doors, sort of tough if you have two TCs and you left the correct set of keys inside the vehicle.

Any Ford Tibbe key can unlock and lock the gas cap cover-this is done so ripping off the cover does not yield the key code.

An unconfirmed report says the hood [engine bonnet] lock can be locked and unlocked by any Ford Tibbe key.

I suspected the same thing!

But I was at my friendly neighborhood Ford dealer last week and tried my key in a couple of TC gascap doors. (All they had on the lot!) Plus one hood. It did not open them.

My guess is that the number of key combinations is nowhere near the federal requirement for ignition locks since - who cares?

But with 6 "cuts" it should be enough.

MY PROBLEM is with the gas cap door key.

You can't remove the key with the door open! (Idiot-proofing.)

Oregon is one of two states without self-service gas, and I don't want to leave my key ring hanging on the door. My only choice is to open it, lock the lock and take the key. This leaves the attendent trying to slam it shut to latch it when he's done!

And you can't take off the little circlip and remove the catch permanently (I park inside), because the hinge has no spring to it to hold the door shut.

And how many locksmiths would be familiar with this type of lock to modify it to allow removal when turned, if it is possible at all.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Tnx.

But I was at my friendly neighborhood Ford dealer last week and tried my key in a couple of TC gascap doors. (All they had on the lot!) Plus one hood. It did not open them.

My guess is that the number of key combinations is nowhere near the federal requirement for ignition locks since - who cares?

Oregon is one of two states without self-service gas, and I don't want to leave my key ring hanging on the door. My only choice is to open it, lock the lock and take the key. This leaves the attendent trying to slam it shut to latch it when he's done!

And you can't take off the little circlip and remove the catch permanently (I park inside), because the hinge has no spring to it to hold the door shut.

And how many locksmiths would be familiar with this type of lock to modify it to allow removal when turned, if it is possible at all.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Tnx.

There would be ZERO locksmiths that would do what you want

Your only hope is to optain a lock cylinder from a junkyard [see Ebay] and see if you can even open the critter to work on it.

I THINK that Ford does not sell that cylinder all by itself--comes in a kit with every other cylinder

Perhaps you could go with a 'dumb' key and give that to the attendant

Any ideas? Anyone?

Tnx.

The fuel door lock cylinder is part number 2S6Z5828624A, $53.58 if you wanted to have one to experiment with.

> There would be ZERO locksmiths that would do what you want

Hmm.

Why?? This is a gas cap door. Not the keys to a bank building!

> The fuel door lock cylinder is part number 2S6Z5828624A, $53.58 if you wanted to have one to experiment with.

Good one!

It looks like it pops out of the door easy enough.

> Perhaps you could go with a 'dumb' key and give that to the attendant

I think that's going to have to be the way to go.

Thanks, guys.