Ford Transit Connect Forum

Check Engine light

cosmicray

Couple of weeks back, driving along, all of a sudden this little picture of an engine appears on the instrument cluster. Not realizing what it was, called the service advisor and asked. He told me it was a check engine light. So I went home and plugged in the ODB2 reader and saw a P0455 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected / large). Gas cap was tight. SA and I agreed to clear the code, and see if it came back. One full tank of fuel, and several hundred miles later, no code. Is this common ?

Hello cosmicray. Since you mentioned the gas cap was tight, here are most of the reasons for the code, Missing or loose fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
- EVAP system hose leaking
- Fuel tank leaking

My P0455 code was set by a loose fuel cap. If it does not come back, I would not worry.

• 5 months later...

My P0455 code was set by a loose fuel cap. If it does not come back, I would not worry.

It did not come back for 7 months. Then on Saturday it pops up again. The dealership was closed, so I reset it (on my own discretion) to see if this is persistent or not. I've put about ~30 miles on it since the reset, and nothing yet. Looking at my records, both times it happened, was 11 days after putting fuel in the tank. Not sure why that would have anything to do with it.

• 1 year later...

It did not come back for 7 months. Then on Saturday it pops up again. The dealership was closed, so I reset it (on my own discretion) to see if this is persistent or not. I've put about ~30 miles on it since the reset, and nothing yet. Looking at my records, both times it happened, was 11 days after putting fuel in the tank. Not sure why that would have anything to do with it.

11 days after fillup, but what fuel level? were they the same both times?