Ford Transit Connect Forum

Add Seats to SWB Cargo

Can I add factory rear seats to a FTC Cargo SWB? They don't make SWB Wagons any more and used ones are not super common, and it would be nice to have a new one.  Also used cars are expensive because of the pandemic (I know there aren't any deals on new cars either).  Also, I would spec the van with windows on both the passenger and drivers side sliding doors, but no windows on the rear quarter panels, like a crew van.  So does anyone know if I can add factory seats to a SWB Cargo FTC?

It would not be simple. The mounting brackets may be difficult to install. You also would need to open the foot well. Your best bet would be to get all the parts from a salvaged vehicle. My guess is this project would require a high level of skills and tools.

Thanks Don. I was hoping it would be a simple bolt in job.  I wonder why it may be difficult to install the mounting bracket?  Would have to remove stuff under the van, like the fuel tank or something? I would get all the parts from a salvaged vehicle, hopefully I could find a salvaged swb wagon in a timely manner in my city.  I'd probably need to get some tools. I was hoping that there would not be much skill involved.  I don't want have to fabricate anything or jerry rig anything, I'm just looking to bolt something in, or I guess maybe drill a hole if I have to.

There are 4 brackets for each seat. They are recessed and welded in place. It's hard to see with the carpet installed. The foot well area has been discussed in several posts where people have made use of the space. I think a cover plate is easily removed.

Here are a couple of photos. Ideally you can borrow a passenger van (wagon) to get a better look. Maybe rent one for a day?

Finding a junked wagon locally will be difficult. They are not common.

IMG_20220114_162945876.jpg

IMG_20220114_163019759.jpg