Ford Transit Connect Forum

SWB 2003 Connect rear suspension clonks. Why!!!

GHDirect

Hi all.

Need ideas as to what can be the cause of steady and serious clonking from rear on bumpy roads from my old 2003 SWB van.

Some history. It a second vehicle only takes light loads and does about 2500 miles P.A. Sits around for days between use.

Past year I have done the following repairs and something I have done could be the cause.

I found the rear spring hangers had rusted through so ground off the rusty bolts replaced hangers along with new aftermarket bolts.

Then had a shocker leaking so both got replaced.

Then it had an MoT advisory on rear brake hub corrosion so replaced both sides with new assemblies.

If you drive down an uneven road surface where the rear suspension has to do some light work there is serious clonking going on.

You can feel it whilst driving. Its not the jack, rear doors, exhaust, fuel tank, spare wheel carrier.

The knock can be encouraged if you sway the van down the road as though the axle is lose in some way.

I thought springs and shackles not right but if you jack it up on a 4 post ramp with wheels hanging nothing found even with a lever bar.

I then though perhaps rear anti roll bar so changed the two roll bar ball joints (not the bushes). No change.

Anyone ideas as to what I have missed or where next to look.

GHDirect

• 2 weeks later...