Ford Transit Connect Forum

How to dim cargo dome light?

It's a 2021 XLT with the 9 LED light (Ford p/n bk2v13776ad).  It is super bright and doesn't respond to the dash light dimmer switch. 

Is there a dimmer control I haven't discovered yet?  I'm hoping for "yes", even though it would be embarrassing.

If not, does anyone know if they are a dimmable type of LED?

I'm turning the vehicle into a campervan and definitely need a wide range of brightness.

Thanks!

Knowing the OEM LED was WAY bright, I specifically chose to not get the OEM LED light in my van so that I could replace the incandescent bulb with a 42mm Festoon style LED. Red in my case for protecting my night vision while doing remote astronomy.  Perhaps you could retrofit the OEM incandescent fixture and choose a dimer white LED or another color. I got a second used OEM incandescent fixture off eBay for $20ish...

I also figured out how to wire the rear light to the front dome light so that I can manually turn one of the rear lights off and on from the front seat.  https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/6031-turn-on-all-interior-lights-2016/?page=2

I've got a not too bright red LED in the original "automatic" fixture, and a brighter red LED in the one that I can control manually. If I need more light than the automatic light puts out, I can turn on the brighter second one on as well. 

I want a red led in the front dome light as well, but the first one I found blocks the key fob signal, so I'm waiting for the next one to arrive...

Edited by BSJBSJ

It works!

The PWM dimmer I bought on Amazon works great.  It's simple to wire electrically (2 wires in, 2 wires out).  In case anyone is interested, this is the one that I bought:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HN1BJWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  It seems to be sold under many brand names...

So now I'm going to buy some more of these LED lights and use them in other places in the van, all running off the leisure battery.  First place to add one will be in the matching hole on the opposite of the van.