Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help! CV Axle Replacement - Disassembly Issues

Hello! I have a 2014 TC and am looking for some input. I (believe) I need to replace the drive side CV axle because I have vibration under acceleration. 

I'm mid-replacement, and having major issues getting the lower control arm separated from the wheel hub. I got the nut off the clamp to the ball joint, but it seems to me that the clamp joint is siezed onto the screw and/or the ball joint end. For the life of me I cannot pry the joint apart, cant seem to pry the ball joint out of the clamp. Anyone have clever ideas?

I've beat on it with a hammer, tried to turn the screw (seems like it's seized in there good), tried to pry the joint apart. It's sitting overnight with some penetrating oil on it, and I will attempt more in the morning, but I'm running out of tools to try!

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I did this job about 3 months ago. The reason the joint does not come apart easily is because its a tapered fit. The two parts lock on to each other.

Have a look at this excellent Youtube clip from 8.45min mark onwards to see the pry tool that the tech uses.

I'm guessing that you wont have this tool (as I didnt) so I used a long pry/crow bar to put pressure on the joint whilst my work colleague bashed the end of the bolt (with the nut on to protect thread) to pop the joint. Maybe we got lucky but it worked. Just be careful not to damage the rubber boot. 

Good luck!  

Edited by Almo