Ford Transit Connect Forum

New guy

Transit Connect Writer

Hello, all...

I'm a product copywriter within the Ford Communications department, assigned to Transit Connect. I have created most- if not all - of the media-directed copy for Transit Connect for the Feb. 09 Chicago Auto Show introduction, National Truck Equipment Association show support, April 09 New York International Auto Show including TC Taxi and TC Family One concept vehicle, launch sales momentum and other TC related press releases.

Transit Connect has been both an interesting career opportunity, as well as an area of personal interest for me.

My 21-year old son is deep into Honda CB750 cycles from the '70's. He wants a Transit Connect to haul his motorcycles...and as support vehicle for his 1950 Ford V-8 Tudor.

Thirty years ago, I funded much of my college expenses doing British car and air-cooled Volkswagen repair. To this day, I still own 3 Microbuses.

I can't look at a Transit Connect without seeing a Westfalia style pop-top grafted into that tall roof. Call it my own 3-year plan.

What's my angle? Fair question....

I'm here to listen to the discussions, and offer clarity when I'm able. Please remember that I'm here as an enthusiast . No one "assigned" me to participate. Don't bother nailing me to the cross because there are no current TC manual shift or diesel options. I'm just a product copywriter. And I want these things, too!

That said, I do plan to make the "powers that be" aware of the trends and prevalent opinions that surface here. Consider me an enthusiastic listener, but most importantly a "full on" Transit Connect geek.

Congratulations to all that have acquired a Transit Connect.

Let's roll!

Transit Connect Writer

1953 Singer 4AD Roadster

1959 Standard Microbus

1979 Sunroof Microbus

1980 Vanagon Riviera Hardtop Camper

1984 VW GTI - 70k

2002 Ford Ranger - 158k

Hello, all...

I'm a product copywriter within the Ford Communications department, assigned to Transit Connect. I have created most- if not all - of the media-directed copy for Transit Connect for the Feb. 09 Chicago Auto Show introduction, National Truck Equipment Association show support, April 09 New York International Auto Show including TC Taxi and TC Family One concept vehicle, launch sales momentum and other TC related press releases.

Transit Connect has been both an interesting career opportunity, as well as an area of personal interest for me.

My 21-year old son is deep into Honda CB750 cycles from the '70's. He wants a Transit Connect to haul his motorcycles...and as support vehicle for his 1950 Ford V-8 Tudor.

Thirty years ago, I funded much of my college expenses doing British car and air-cooled Volkswagen repair. To this day, I still own 3 Microbuses.

I can't look at a Transit Connect without seeing a Westfalia style pop-top grafted into that tall roof. Call it my own 3-year plan.

What's my angle? Fair question....

I'm here to listen to the discussions, and offer clarity when I'm able. Please remember that I'm here as an enthusiast . No one "assigned" me to participate. Don't bother nailing me to the cross because there are no current TC manual shift or diesel options. I'm just a product copywriter. And I want these things, too!

That said, I do plan to make the "powers that be" aware of the trends and prevalent opinions that surface here. Consider me an enthusiastic listener, but most importantly a "full on" Transit Connect geek.

Congratulations to all that have acquired a Transit Connect.

Let's roll!

Transit Connect Writer

1953 Singer 4AD Roadster

1959 Standard Microbus

1979 Sunroof Microbus

1980 Vanagon Riviera Hardtop Camper

1984 VW GTI - 70k

2002 Ford Ranger - 158k

Welcome to the Forum. I am a Commercial Truck Dealership salesperson and I put my $$ where my mouth is. i have an XLT van with Work Solutions. I absolutely love it. If you get a chance, check out my website. I'd apprecaite any feedback, positive or negative.

ed

Welcome!

I have spent many hours staring at a computer screen filled with pictures, articles (some yours no doubt) and spec sheets hoping that this truck would finally make it here. That started over 3 years ago when I asked Ford Canada if they had a small turbo diesel van similar to the Mitsubishi Delica vans that are brought here in large numbers. My Ranger really didn't cut it for my business. They replied that there was the Transit (full size) but had no plans to bring it here.

I kept on about this until I ran across an article saying it would be coming but as the Connect. That was well in advance of any official announcement and a few false starts (it almost didn't come as a result of the Euro exchange rate as I understand) and a few years I am now happily driving mine. I factory ordered it in March on the second day that the dealers online system allowed it. I'm sure my salesman was happy to get me off his back, I have sent him every item I ever found about the TC and as a result they ordered as many as they were allowed. He only has 2 left on the lot.

It will be good to have someone in your position as part of the forum. Now just go and buy one...

Welcome!

I have spent many hours staring at a computer screen filled with pictures, articles (some yours no doubt) and spec sheets hoping that this truck would finally make it here. That started over 3 years ago when I asked Ford Canada if they had a small turbo diesel van similar to the Mitsubishi Delica vans that are brought here in large numbers. My Ranger really didn't cut it for my business. They replied that there was the Transit (full size) but had no plans to bring it here.

I kept on about this until I ran across an article saying it would be coming but as the Connect. That was well in advance of any official announcement and a few false starts (it almost didn't come as a result of the Euro exchange rate as I understand) and a few years I am now happily driving mine. I factory ordered it in March on the second day that the dealers online system allowed it. I'm sure my salesman was happy to get me off his back, I have sent him every item I ever found about the TC and as a result they ordered as many as they were allowed. He only has 2 left on the lot.

It will be good to have someone in your position as part of the forum. Now just go and buy one...

I ordered mine the day that we could place orders. It took forever due to the late availability of Work Solutions. I am glad I got it. You can see pics of mine on my website.

Welcome to the site.

I was at Friendly Ford here in Las Vegas where they had several of them - and at awesome prices too!

I love my E350, however, it's too big for my current needs. I wanted a Flex or a Scion Xb, but the Transit Connect hits with all of the features and at the right prices points too. Aside from that, it's a Ford. :happy feet:

Greetings! I own a blue XLT wagon here in San Jose, CA. I too ordered mine as soon as orders were being taken. However, due to some personnel changes and other oddities at the dealership I used, I didn't take delivery until early September.

While my TC will definitely see some use in my large-format-printing and laser-engraving side business. for the most part it's my personal commuter vehicle. I'm a very large person so I enjoy vans. Previously I've had a custom GMC van (starcrafter style), a few minivans and then finally a Honda Element as I kept wanting gas milage over space. The TC is the first time I've been able to go up in space while also going up in MPG -- from 21 to 25! It feels so nice to be back in a proper van again. I've been hoping for years that the various eurovan styles would finally get brought over to the states, and I'm glad Ford did it.

In my spare time I'm a metalworker and motorcyclist, so I'm all about modifying my vehicles. Currently I've done a custom interior door panel on the driver's side so that my larger size fits better in the driver's seat (the stock door panel has a hugely oversized arm-rest; I slimmed it by half and it's much better). I also flipped the shifter knob over to the other side (easily done as there's a predrilled hole in the shaft for other-side-drive versions of the TC) to give myself more leg clearance. It's now the roomiest drivers'-cockpit I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Currently I've upgraded the stereo to an Alpine system and parrot bluetooth by buying some parts from overseas vendors (as no car stereo shops here in the US seem to understand the Transit's odd mix of wiring and dash styles just yet). As the primary day job is as a network engineer, I've rigged the van up with a mobile 3G hotspot and a secondary battery. In spring of 2010 I'll be putting a solar roof on it (thinfilm laminate CIGS cells) to hook into the battery/radio systems for always-on use, like I did to the Honda Element that used to be my primary vehicle.

I have two questions so far that I hope you can help me with, but if not, no worries. :)

1 - the stock Ford seat-belt extenders for us big folk don't work in the TC, due to a slightly different (barely thicker and about 1/4" shorter) seat belt buckle format. I had to modify the extender to get it to work, which means I'm not 100% assured of its safety. My local dealer threw up their hands and doesn't know how to solve this. Is it possible to order *correct* seatbelt extenders for the TC from any of Ford's overseas dealers?

2 - That little removable 'plug' on the driver's-side rear cargo door... the one just below the 3rd taillight -- what's it for? As it has wingnuts it's super-easy to take out, but the manual makes no mention of it. Are there premade back-up cameras that go in that slot, sold in the EU perhaps? Or is it for some other nefarious purpose? : )

Thanks for joining the forum and listening to me ramble on!

--T

Greetings! I own a blue XLT wagon here in San Jose, CA. I too ordered mine as soon as orders were being taken. However, due to some personnel changes and other oddities at the dealership I used, I didn't take delivery until early September.

While my TC will definitely see some use in my large-format-printing and laser-engraving side business. for the most part it's my personal commuter vehicle. I'm a very large person so I enjoy vans. Previously I've had a custom GMC van (starcrafter style), a few minivans and then finally a Honda Element as I kept wanting gas milage over space. The TC is the first time I've been able to go up in space while also going up in MPG -- from 21 to 25! It feels so nice to be back in a proper van again. I've been hoping for years that the various eurovan styles would finally get brought over to the states, and I'm glad Ford did it.

In my spare time I'm a metalworker and motorcyclist, so I'm all about modifying my vehicles. Currently I've done a custom interior door panel on the driver's side so that my larger size fits better in the driver's seat (the stock door panel has a hugely oversized arm-rest; I slimmed it by half and it's much better). I also flipped the shifter knob over to the other side (easily done as there's a predrilled hole in the shaft for other-side-drive versions of the TC) to give myself more leg clearance. It's now the roomiest drivers'-cockpit I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Currently I've upgraded the stereo to an Alpine system and parrot bluetooth by buying some parts from overseas vendors (as no car stereo shops here in the US seem to understand the Transit's odd mix of wiring and dash styles just yet). As the primary day job is as a network engineer, I've rigged the van up with a mobile 3G hotspot and a secondary battery. In spring of 2010 I'll be putting a solar roof on it (thinfilm laminate CIGS cells) to hook into the battery/radio systems for always-on use, like I did to the Honda Element that used to be my primary vehicle.

I have two questions so far that I hope you can help me with, but if not, no worries. :)

1 - the stock Ford seat-belt extenders for us big folk don't work in the TC, due to a slightly different (barely thicker and about 1/4" shorter) seat belt buckle format. I had to modify the extender to get it to work, which means I'm not 100% assured of its safety. My local dealer threw up their hands and doesn't know how to solve this. Is it possible to order *correct* seatbelt extenders for the TC from any of Ford's overseas dealers?

2 - That little removable 'plug' on the driver's-side rear cargo door... the one just below the 3rd taillight -- what's it for? As it has wingnuts it's super-easy to take out, but the manual makes no mention of it. Are there premade back-up cameras that go in that slot, sold in the EU perhaps? Or is it for some other nefarious purpose? : )

Thanks for joining the forum and listening to me ramble on!

--T

Welcome aboard. I will try to find somethig out about the seat belts. I also plan to upgrade my speakers. I ordered my TC with the Work Solutions computer and I think the radio quality is a little bit above that of the stock radio.

As for the access on the rear door, that is where the rear brake light is installed on the euro versions. For the US they had to put it above.

Also with the XLT, if you pull out the headlight switch when the lights are on, it engages the fog lights but they are not what we are used to. Because of all of the fog in some Euro countries, when the fog lights are turned on, it actually brightens the rear tail lights for better visibility to the person behind you.

Anyway, good luck with your TC.

I won't complain about the diesel/manual thing, but only because I have two '70's vintage Honda CB450s, and memories of a youth wasted on air cooled VWs (no regrets!).

I just made my first post in the "Colors" thread so I guess it's too late to introduce myself...

Is there anyone within Ford who the general public can contact with questions or concerns? The diesel thing has been discussed quite a bit, and I was also wondering why the Canadian market has a more limited colour selection.

I've owned vehicles of one kind or another for almost twenty years now, and this is the first time I've even considered buying a Ford. So, I think Ford is doing something right, but for me anyways, the Transit Connect isn't quite there yet.

The blank plate - I think - is for the Euro-market specific rear foglamp.

If sales take off as planned for the current TC configuration, it will increase chances of seeing more powertrain options for North America.

I'll check on US vs. Canadian market color offerings.

Transit Connect Writer

I won't complain about the diesel/manual thing, but only because I have two '70's vintage Honda CB450s, and memories of a youth wasted on air cooled VWs (no regrets!).

I just made my first post in the "Colors" thread so I guess it's too late to introduce myself...

Is there anyone within Ford who the general public can contact with questions or concerns? The diesel thing has been discussed quite a bit, and I was also wondering why the Canadian market has a more limited colour selection.

I've owned vehicles of one kind or another for almost twenty years now, and this is the first time I've even considered buying a Ford. So, I think Ford is doing something right, but for me anyways, the Transit Connect isn't quite there yet.

• 2 months later...

Me, too -- I'd be interested in purchasing such an option.

I've also started to think about fabricating one myself. Do you know if there are good drawings (ideally

CAD files) of the exterior roof surface available? I've looked around on the Ford Commercial Trucks

web site and haven't found anything.

With CAD models in hand it would be relatively easy to design some molds and a few machined parts

for a cap.

Thanks!

Kwin