Ford Transit Connect Forum

A question for dealers

Last weekend a local dealership ran an ad offering an XL wagon for $17,999. I emailed the dealership and began working with a salesman on the vehicle. The price was only good on one specific vehicle. I finally made it out to the dealership on Friday to look at it and take it for a test drive. When we got back from the drive we started talking about a possible trade-in and different financing options. At two different times during my time there I clarified with the salesman that we were still talking about the same vehicle at the same price. He confirmed that both times. To make a long story short by the time his manager had come over the price was now at $21,000. He explained to me that the ad was only good until Monday and that that had been explained in the fine print in the ad. At that point I left the dealership, a little flustered and disappointed to say the least. I emailed the manager the next day to explain my frustration with the whole situation, explaining that I had clarified the price with my salesman on two different occasions before, that I wasn't asking them to match the price on another vehicle but the one that was in the ad that had not sold (my salesman told me today that no one else had even inquired about it), and that this whole situation looked like a bait and switch. They've offered me the vehicle at $20,500 at this point. If this was your dealership what would you do? The dealership is about an hour from me and I probably pass 15 other Ford dealerships to get there and they know that. I'm inclined to drop the whole thing altogether or at least just work with a dealership that is much closer to home.

Unfortunately there are dealers like this in every market who run an absurd ad just to get someone in the door to talk to one of the clueless salespersons that happen to be on the floor that day. If a deal sounds too good to be true...........

We all pay the same amount for the same vehicle; we all have the same rebates available; we all deal with the exact same amount of holdback. A dealership will not lose money to make a sale, period. If it looks like they are selling at an unbelievably low price, they will get you somewhere either in prep fee [b.S.]; lot fee [b.S.]; interest rate markup; high Doc fee; or some other manufactured fee to add profit to the vehicle [watch out for addendum window stickers for "Dealer Add Ons" like glass etching; tinted windows; paint protection, etc. These are typically marked up many times over.

Find a dealer you trust, check out their service department and try tomake the whole process as stress free as possible. There are some very good dealers out there.

• 6 months later...

Unfortunately there are dealers like this in every market who run an absurd ad just to get someone in the door to talk to one of the clueless salespersons that happen to be on the floor that day. If a deal sounds too good to be true...........

We all pay the same amount for the same vehicle; we all have the same rebates available; we all deal with the exact same amount of holdback. A dealership will not lose money to make a sale, period. If it looks like they are selling at an unbelievably low price, they will get you somewhere either in prep fee [b.S.]; lot fee [b.S.]; interest rate markup; high Doc fee; or some other manufactured fee to add profit to the vehicle [watch out for addendum window stickers for "Dealer Add Ons" like glass etching; tinted windows; paint protection, etc. These are typically marked up many times over.

Find a dealer you trust, check out their service department and try tomake the whole process as stress free as possible. There are some very good dealers out there.

Ed looking forward to the new 2011 Transit connect with more added features than the 2010 but dealers in SoCal are not even getting details of the new improved 2011 no brochures available for perusal , pricing, financing deals or outright cash deals nobody seems to be intersted until they have cleared away their 2010 models that are cluttering up their lots!!! . Funnily enough I went to the San Diego Autoshow and the Ford display was the "old" 2010 model pah!!!!Any help would be appreciated

• 3 months later...

I should start off by saying that I have had good experiences with Ford in the past, but as far as the Transit Connect, neither Ford or its dealers ( especially the sales people) seem to know much about the TC! I found only one salesperson with any knowlege about them in purchasing my 2010, unfortunately, he wasn't willing to deal on them. In trying to purchase a 2011, I am finding that I know more about them than the salespeople, and that most seem to want to steer me to a vehicle that they have or can easily obtain than actually want to sell me exactly what I want! One even tried to B.S. me about available options- ever heard of the internet, guys?

Dave

• 7 months later...

I should start off by saying that I have had good experiences with Ford in the past, but as far as the Transit Connect, neither Ford or its dealers ( especially the sales people) seem to know much about the TC! I found only one salesperson with any knowlege about them in purchasing my 2010, unfortunately, he wasn't willing to deal on them. In trying to purchase a 2011, I am finding that I know more about them than the salespeople, and that most seem to want to steer me to a vehicle that they have or can easily obtain than actually want to sell me exactly what I want! One even tried to B.S. me about available options- ever heard of the internet, guys?

Dave

I will back that up about the Dealers not knowing any thing about the TC, and, add the banks to the list. They were not aware that the TC came in a passenger format !