Ford Transit Connect Forum

Video production vehicle??

Is there anyone out there that has purchased a TC that is using it as a film & video production vehicle? If so how is that working? Enough room? Enough power? I haven't bought one yet but I'm thinkin' about it. Love to hear from anyone that is, or has used one for film and video production.

I would think it's possible to upgrade the alternator for something more powerful and I'm sure additional batteries could be installed with a kit of some kind. With the stock configuration you might get away with powering a single 15A circuit with the vehicle running at an idle and no other loads on like lights or AC, but I don't know I'd want to do that on a continuous basis with the stock alternator. Additional batteries would help take some of the direct load off the alternator. Speak with someone who does truck upgrades for better info.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of room, not much power. How much power would you need? .

Not sure how much power I need. I presently have a 1993 Toyota Truck (V-6). The TC has more load capacity (1600) than my truck does. I'm guessing that I could be hauling loads from 600-800lbs. Being a 4 cylinder makes me wonder if it will have enough power. I understand the TC has a unique gearing ratio that helps with the load weight. Not sure how the power to pull.

I would think it's possible to upgrade the alternator for something more powerful and I'm sure additional batteries could be installed with a kit of some kind. With the stock configuration you might get away with powering a single 15A circuit with the vehicle running at an idle and no other loads on like lights or AC, but I don't know I'd want to do that on a continuous basis with the stock alternator. Additional batteries would help take some of the direct load off the alternator. Speak with someone who does truck upgrades for better info.

Thanks for the insight. I will not need the vehicle to power any lights just haul gear.

• 1 month later...

I'm a cameraman and I just bought one today. Should work great for hauling gear and save on gas. But, consider also a used minivan such as Toyota Sienna. Take the middle seats out, fold the back seats down and you have a massive amount of space in a very comfortable vehicle, which is also very efficient on gas. I've had one for about 5 years and it was incredible (aside from the fact you are driving a giant fridge!)...

• 4 months later...

My father got a TC this summer as a mobility vehicle, with a lift in the back for his power scooter (he has MS)

But I'm seriously thinking of getting one as a mobile DIT workstation. Check out REDUSER.net there's people talking about it there too.

Some guys in LA have a rolling color grading suite in a Sprinter.

4K Ninjas Road Grader

I currently have to disassemble my rig to get it in and out of my Focus, which is due for replacement. The TC would have enough verticle height inside for me to work seated at my station, keep me away from the elements.

The biggest thing would be providing enough power from the system. My rig will pull anywhere between 600-3000w depending on the setup, so if I go the TC route, I'll have some planning to do. Also have to figure out A/C and HEAT, and exhaust of the computer systems heat as well, and I don't really want to have a rooftop AC, that would keep me from parking it in a standard garage. Anyone got suggestions for other A/C options? More than likely I'm gonna have to install a bunch of batteries (weight and space) and a big inverter to run everything.