Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help! Water in passenger in footwell 2010TC

RDinNHandAZ

I’ve been fighting this for 2 weeks now. Every rainstorm I get water into the passenger footwell. It is coming through the seams high up on the firewall behind the glovebox.  I’ve tried to find the source but can’t. I pulled the plastic trim below the windshield and found the weatherstrip out of place and fixed that. No improvement. Under that I found a metal tray partly covering the access to the cabin air filter which sat on top of the windshield surface. I repositioned it to below the windshield so water would flow into it as it looks like it was intended but again no improvement. I replaced the cabin air filter and cleaned up around it but did not expect that was the answer and it was not. The water is not going into the filter or the HVAC system. In desperation I got some FlexSeal and sprayed the seams from the inside that I can get to but it just finds another seam to the right or left or higher up like there was a lake outside.

Anyone have ideas I haven’t thought of? 

Edited by RDinNHandAZ
spelling

The water could be coming from the plastic caps on the roof which have holes under them.  Or it could be the windshield seal.  Mine leaked like that until  Ford issued a recall to fix it.  For the recall, which covered 2014 and up model years, they removed the windshield, and reset it with a new gasket.  You could spray the van with water and a tracer dye, then follow the leak.

Edited by Fifty150

Thanks,

Yesterday I pulled the lower windshield trim on the passenger side and reset everything. I sprayed the windshield with the hose and everything looks good and the water drains. I then went under the passenger dash and removed the trim under the glovebox, the carpet and the padding at the front of the wheel well. I found a leak in several places near the emergency fuel cut off box. One was coming from underneath it so I removed the box to confirm. It was there and I found some added weatherstrip adhesive added to the top seam after the car was made so it had been a problem earlier. I don’t understand why the previous owner failed to disclose the leaking. Bad Karma for that! I then dried everything out and coated the entire area with FlexSeal which is really too runny for vertical surfaces but several layers seemed to get it done.  After drying for 5 hours I sprayed water again and so far have no leak.  Friday is supposed to be a good hard rain so I reserve any statement of success until after that.