Ford Transit Connect Forum

2010 TC passenger van Splash Shields

I recently bought a 2010 TC passenger van with 59,000 miles to convert to a one person travel van. I have been working on the exterior to mitigate the surface rust from our salty roads and doing a complete rustproofing.  I was surprised to find the van has no splash shield at all! Every vehicle I  have owned for the past 30 years has metal or plastic shields under the engine and sometimes even covering the entire front suspension, transmission, and engine.

Amazon showed a shield which would attach to the plastic front bumper cover and extend to about the oil filter but I have nothing at the sides or rear to attach it to. I got one thinking it might be a solution but I cannot mount it.  Was there another guard behind it? Was that metal or plastic and where except for a salvage yard would I get one? 

Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 6.26.18 AM.png

No, there's no shield further back under the engine bay. Maybe I'm more of a truck guy, but I think of full shields as being a relatively recent development to improve aero as manufacturers care more about MPG.

In any event, IIRC what you're looking at, "Lower air deflector", should clip into the wheel-well liner "fender splash shields" via an intermediate triangle-shaped piece "front splash shield".

As with most Ford parts 10+ years old, the easiest and cheapest way to sort it is to grab everything at once from a u-pull-it, if your area still has one.

On 7/14/2024 at 3:28 AM, RDinNHandAZ said:

I was surprised to find the van has no splash shield at all!

13 hours ago, lowspeedpursuit said:

parts 10+ years old, the easiest and cheapest way to sort it is to grab everything at once from a u-pull-it

Try parts.ford.com  Enter your VIN for vehicle specific parts.

image.thumb.png.846aa4c0c099844263ec96fe5b07f115.png

On 7/14/2024 at 3:28 AM, RDinNHandAZ said:

Every vehicle I  have owned for the past 30 years has metal or plastic shields under the engine and sometimes even covering the entire front suspension, transmission, and engine.

13 hours ago, lowspeedpursuit said:

Maybe I'm more of a truck guy, but I think of full shields as being a relatively recent development to improve aero as manufacturers care more about MPG.

My '07 F-150 doesn't have any kind of shield under the truck.  

Thanks folks. Seeing that shield part is “only” $127 at my ford dealer makes me think I can confirm with them that it is correct and mostly complete to replace the shield that is missing and before ordering deal with the salvage yard nearby. We have lots of salt and dirt roads here so buying new might be the good option.  Now I wonder where the shield I pictured above attached, if it in fact did?

When I sign in to Ford Parts the browser leads me to a circular path of pages for sign in which fails the first time then to VIN, part number and back to confirm vehicle. I’m not impressed with Ford’s site. It should be easy enough for a caveman to do it. Yes I do resemble that remark.