Ford Transit Connect Forum

Wagon delivery quicker than cargo?

I'm saddled with a very long spine. The TC is the only vehicle I can find, besides the 2000s VW New Beetle, that has enough headroom for me. Even the Flex doesn't have quite enough headroom for me (without the sun roof, which kills another 3+ inches of headroom). So, despite the less than ideal creature comforts and power, I probably will buy a TC because I have no other option. Yes I've tried Honda and they don't fit either.

I'm currently replacing my 2002 turbo diesel VW due to endless reliability issues. Great design, incredibly bad parts, especially electrical. No mas; I'm crying "uncle".

I'm wondering if the TC wagons arrive at the dealer any quicker than the cargo versions, since they don't need to have the windows and rear seats removed to beat the chicken tax? Presumably there is less or no modification after they arrive in the US. Is that the case?

My configuration would be the XLTpremium wagon with the taxi package, as the additional 3" of rear legroom and the rear HVAC are critical for my needs. I'm wondering if that adds further delay?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Peter Kuykendall

Welcome Peter! The only thing for sure about delivery time is NOT TO ORDER a Transit Connect! Captsea, Roger Baker and Hollowwood all waited 7 MONTHS! Try and have your dealer find one at another dealer and swap for it. If none are available within a decent driving distance, you might have to order one to your specifications, just beware of the wait no matter what the dealer says. The only other info I have that has been confirmed is that some options are added at the port, which slows down the delivery. The real issue is not how fast they get out of the port, it is how long it take to GET to the port.

I hope you buy a Transit Connect. I have been enjoying mine.

Good Luck!

Thanks 103. I need a configuration that I'm quite sure doesn't exist yet (XLT Premium wagon with taxi package and a couple of other options), so I'll have to order it. I can wait. Oddly enough, the last new car I ordered also took about 7 months to arrive. That was in 1979. Since then I've only bought used. Now I'm essentially forced into buying new, but it's OK.

• 1 month later...

If you are buying from a small dealer (or one who cares about customer relations), he can get you progress reports more detailed than "on dealer lot week of xx/xx". The docket will have entries like estimated delivery week (or maybe production week, or both -- forgotten that detail). Once assembled, the next docket entry will be lane and space information at the port while awaiting loading on a ship. Now comes the fun. The third entry will probably be a ship name. Once you have that, you can go to www.marinetraffic.com, enter the ship name, and track the ship as it crossed the Atlantic. The ship with my TC made a port of call in Nova Scotia and New York City (lost 3 days there since it didn't want to enter the harbor late Friday afternoon). From NYC, it went down the coast and through the canal into Chesapeake Bay. As it approached Baltimore Harbor, it was picked by a a tug. Wicked cool to watch!