Ford Transit Connect Forum

Mud & Traction Control do not work!

:soapbox: I found my first thing to bitch about with my TC. :rant: I do have to temper it in that this was designed as a Road Van, not a Mudder. It is Mud Season in Northern New Hampshire and skills born of long years have to be brought forward to do battle with the muddy roads and parking areas. I had thought, that with the TC, that it would be the same kind of defence as in past years. WRONG !! I have now to contend with the Traction Control that Ford has designed for the TC. During the Winter, on ice covered roads, it worked as intended. Coming up our snow and ice covered hill to my home was not so good. It kept throttling back and applying brakes and would sometime run out of steam and stop. I delt with it and did OK. It just took a few more tries than normal to make the hill. But, now the snow is gone and in it's place is clay based mud. What ever you are driving will have you sinking and spinning. To get forward traction from a standing stop when parked, you may need to rock backwards as far as you can,then, roll forward and up and out of the hole you had sunk into. You need to keep on the gas a bit and claw your way forward. With the proper feel and touch, you can usually make it out. That was before Traction Control designed for hard surfaces. It does not allow you to do this. As soon as it detects spin, it pulls back on the gas and starts jabing the brakes. You might make it to the top of the hole only to have the engine die and leave you stopped there. It will not let you spin or claw. My morning errands have been put off till tomorrow due to the fact that my TC is mired in the mud of my driveway. I have the strap attached to the trailer hitch and when my brother get home from work, we will have he and his tractor extridite me. So, a Word To The Wise, Mud and TCs do not mix! :stop:

I almost got stuck the other day in six inches of gooseshit mud.

I think my traction control is not working.

Your assesment is correct, my montana van did the same thing but I had the option of turning the Traction control off. Pull a fuse maybe.

The other trick is to ride the brake at the same time to stop the free wheel from spinning.

Old four wheel drive trick.

It is not that I have a wheel spinning, but, that the traction control will not allow wheels to spin. If it detects one spinning, it applies the brake to that wheel and cuts back on the throttle. The throttle is affected first. You find yourself going slower and slower even if the pedal is to the metal. So clawing your way forward is not allowed. I will ask my service guy for a workaround.