Ford Transit Connect Forum

I need advise on bad noise from the drivetrain

williaty

USDM 2014 Connect wagon XLT. Early this spring, I swapped my summer tires onto the van. The only thing I did while I had the van on the lift was to change to summer tires. When the van got back on its feet, it was making a growling noise like it had mud tires on. OK, I just swapped tires, it sounds like mud tires, so it has to be tire noise, right? After driving it around sadly for a month or two, I thought maaaaaybe I could hear the gronch-gronch-gronch sound of a bad wheel bearing buried under all the tire noise so I stopped driving the van until the weather cooled down enough to make me willing to work on it. I bought a new set of summer tires in order to get rid of the tire noise so that I could hear if there was a bearing noise hidden in there. So I just swapped a new set of summer tires onto it and the noise is still there, growling away like a set of mudders. OK, fine, this model of tire must just be crap now. So I change to my winter tires today. Same damned noise! The noise sounds just like bad/rough/mud tires, is related to vehicle speed, and is worst around 46-50mph. It's very constant, doesn't change character, and sounds like it's centered left to right and comes from the front end.

The only other thing I can offer is that I put it back on the lift and ran it in gear without the wheels on it today. The left side axle has some sort of an abnormality where it enters the transmission. Once per revolution, there's a light clank and the inner CV joint's cup jumps sideways about a 1/8th of an inch. No growling, grinding, or anything else is heard running the van on the lift.

So what do you guys think? Wheel bearing? Bad axle? Bad carrier bearing? Bad tranny?

• 4 months later...

How did you end up on this? I am having my second carrier bearing replaced through the recall. Now I'm told the differential is going. The van has 65000 miles on it. I complained of excessive road noise since first recall. I've read that bad carrier bearing can cause differential problems.