Ford Transit Connect Forum

Speed Sensitive Volume

Jim

I just got a new 2012 TC Premium Wagon with a SYNC radio. The radio has an option for Speed Sensitive Volume (SPEEDVOL), which defaults to off. It can be set from Off to a setting of 1 to 7.

My problem is, it doesn't seem to be working. I can't hear the volume increase as I go faster (maybe I have the radio too low in the first place?). The manual says the recommended setting is between 1-3. I started with 3, then 5, then 7. I figured if they only recommended up to 3, if I set it to 7 it should be booming as I pick up speed.

Has anyone tried this feature and got it to work? Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim

I have a 2010 and I don't know what the Sync radio consists of for 2012, but if the speed sensitive volume works the same, I would say the increase in volume isn't dramatically perceptible. On mine I have it set for 3, and I don't really notice the volume increasing, just that it sounds the same (which is what the feature is supposed to do). If I turn the feature off, I can tell that the road noise is starting to drown out the radio and I have to turn up the volume manually.

Beyond that, the thing that has always irritated me about this radio is the way the volume setting changes itself. If I set it for 25 while talking on the phone (just to able to try to hear the other party), as soon as I hang up the phone, the volume jumps way down. If I have the radio on, turn the van off, and then get back in and restart the van, the volume has jumped down to a lower setting. If I turn it down real low (such as when driving up to an entrance gate/call box), when I next turn on the van the volume will have gone back up. It seems to always return itself to a setting of about 13. Whether speed sensitive volume is turned on or not, it likes to change the volume setting. I've learned to live with it but it irritates the hell out of me.

• 7 years later...

Jim, you are not alone. I recently purchased a used 2015 TC with the sync radio. In a previous noisy Mustang I really appreciated the speed sensitive volume for my radio. I have tried all settings; OFF - 7 on my TC and notice no difference at all. I like to be able to fix things myself and hate to take it to the dealer although that is supposed to be covered under warranty. I feel like I must be missing something else in the enabling set up.