Ford Transit Connect Forum

Ford Transit Connect Electric Debuts

Transit Connect Guide

Transit Connect Electric Makes Geneva Debut

Ford Transit Connect Forum – Ford further demonstrates its commitment to a global vehicle electrification strategy by showcasing a development version of its zero-emission Transit Connect Electric at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.

Based on a Transit Connect Kombi the show car is one of several electric Ford vehicles currently on test in the UK and features the same battery electric power train as the Transit Connect Electric Van, which is set to go on sale in Europe later this year.

“By providing a variety of electrified vehicles, we are making it easier for our customers to embrace this fuel-saving technology,” said Bill Ford, executive chairman, Ford Motor Company. “This strategy is true to our heritage of making innovative technology available to as many people as possible and to our vision of developing great products, building a strong business and contributing to a better world.”

Zero emissions

The Transit Connect Electric Van is a pure electric-powered version of the award-winning, long-wheelbase Transit Connect light commercial vehicle.

Developed in conjunction with Ford's US-based electric vehicles partner Azure Dynamics, it has a proprietary Force Drive™ battery electric drive train powered by an advanced battery pack designed by Johnson Controls-Saft.

With 28kWh of power to call on, Transit Connect Electric has a top speed of 75mph (120km/h) and a range of up to 130km/80 miles. Its lithium-ion battery pack is charged via a standard power outlet – an onboard converter then charges the battery pack. Fully charging the batteries using standard European 220/240-volt outlets takes up to 10 hours.

Practical and affordable

Transit Connect Electric Van will offer European operators the opportunity to eliminate fuel bills in their small vans and help to lower overall running costs.

Ford’s Transit Connect commercial platform is an ideal choice for battery electric power thanks to its unique combination of car-like driving dynamics, generous cargo capacity, easy accessibility and low purchase and operation costs.

With a cargo volume 3.8 m3 and a payload of 410kg, Transit Connect Electric Van will particularly appeal to operators who travel predictable, short-range routes with frequent stop and go driving.

Tried and tested

The Transit Connect Electric Van goes on sale in European markets later this year following its successful launch in North America in December 2010.

'Glider' units - complete vehicles except for the powertrain - will be shipped from the Ford Otosan manufacturing facility in Kocaeli, Turkey, directly to an Azure-contracted manufacturing location in Europe for final assembly.

The completed Transit Connect Electric Van will then be sold by Azure Dynamics through a specially-created network of dealerships. The European Transit Connect Electric will be badged with both the Ford Blue Oval and Azure’s Force Drive logo like its North American sibling. Further details and prices for the Transit Connect Electric which will be available in right- and left-hand drive configuration will be released closer to launch.

“Transit Connect Electric exemplifies how we are leveraging our relationships as well as our hybrid and advanced powertrain programs to bring energy-efficient technologies from the laboratory to the street,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president, Global Product Development. “Not only is this an ideal vehicle for eco-conscious fleet operators, it is an important part of Ford’s future.”

Ford has committed to introduce five full-electric and hybrid models in Europe by 2013 as part of its global electrification strategy. In addition to Transit Connect Electric, the company will launch the next-generation Ford Focus Electric in 2012, followed by hybrid and plug-in hybrid derivatives of the all-new C-MAX and another hybrid-electric model in 2013.

Transit Connect Electric Technical data

Body

* 'Glider' assembly at Ford Otosan plant in Kocaeli, Turkey

* Final assembly by Azure Dynamics Corporation

Propulsion architecture

* Siemens AC induction motor, Azure Dynamics inverter

* Borg-Warner transaxle, Johnson Controls-Saft battery pack

* System voltage range 260V – 380V

Electric drive system

* Motor Siemens model 135, 3-phase AC induction motor, 300V nominal, liquid-cooled

* Torque 158 Nm (continuous) / 235 Nm (peak)

* Transmission Borg-Warner 31-03, single-speed

* Gear ratio 8.28:1

* IEC 62196 type 1

Battery

* Johnson Controls-Saft lithium-ion pack

* Capacity 28 kWh, 16 modules / (192 cells)

* Voltage range 215V – 390V / charger – 3.3 kW

Weights and capacities

* Maximum payload 410 kg

* Curb weight 1791 kg (est.)

* Cargo volume 3.8 m3

Performance

* Driving range up to 130 km (80 miles) per full charge

* Charge duration up to 10 hours for full cycle using 230 V

* Top speed 120 km/h (75 mph)@ 0 percent grade

* Acceleration 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph) in 12 seconds (based on kerb weight)

* 0-100 km/h (0-60 mph)in 15 seconds (based on gross vehicle weight rating)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

first post from newbee on here!

Looks interesting so did some maths just on charging costs.

Charger quoted at 3.3 kW, and a full charge takes 10 hours. so 33 units per charge.

Assuming max 'off-peak' 'economy 7' in UK, if timed to make use of this between say 2300-0700, then putting on charge at 2000 hours before retiring for the night would make best use of rates.

In my case I pay around 4p/night unit & 13p/ day unit.

So first 3 hours costs 39p plus next 7 costs 28p = 67p per charge which yields 80 miles or 0.83p/mile!

Seems too good, so my maths must be out........never was a strong point.

Now for the down side, I work mainly for industry/commercial customers so figured most wouldn't mind me plugging in a lead 'to charge my electric drills' whilst on site....I'm not known as

'Titus aduksas' for nothing!

BUT 3.3kW equals 3300w/230V=14.35Amps!

Can't draw that from a standard UK 13A outlet for several hours without the plug fuse overheating and melting!

So at home & anywhere else to charge would require a 16A 'Blue' caravan type plug and socket. oops!

• 3 years later...

hi guys i am new on site ist timer so go easy..

i currently own a ford transit connect electric van 2011 in uk england .

so question are ford honoring the warranty for the azure ford connect electric van?

or is there a way of finding out my van 2011 and 8k miles but dont think its had a service. yet? is every thing out of warranty ?

much apreshated any info would be good, ford ev-er

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

There are 3 of these for sale in So Cal right now.  The most interesting ad says the vehicle has only 99 miles on it and is in new condition, but there's no price listed.  No warranty of course.  

Anybody know what one of these would be worth?  How long does the battery pack last and can it be replaced?

The two with prices on them have something like 20 or 50K miles on them, for about 14 grand.  Seems steep, considering no warranty.

I have a 15 mile round trip drive to work, and thought it might be nifty to buy one of these for that drive.