Ford Transit Connect Forum

Prefill/Prime Oil Filter ?????

Stan MI

This has got to have been asked before but I tried the search and can't find it.

For specifics, I'm going to be doing my first oil change on a 2014 Ford Transit Connect with the 1.6L Ecoboost.

Oil filter is on the side (read that as a pain in the .....). When installing the new filter is there any advantage/need to prefill the new filter with oil before installing it ???????

Had a tech tell me because it's the Ecoboost it must be filled first or I'll burn out the turbo. Since the filter is on the side I can't imagine I could get very much oil in it. Not to mention the filter is a pain to put in and take out.

Looking for some help from someone who has "been there done that">

The turbo won't even spin up when starting the vehicle. Pull the coil wire and spin the starter to prime the pump.

If it still bothers you, buy the parts and high pressure hoses to put a remote oil filter. I had a turbo mustang once and the oil filter was right between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe. I placed a remote filter on the side and it was actually fun to change the oil without getting burned.