nabottle

Terrible Sound of the XLT sound system

I bought my TC Cargo XLTyesterday (June 23, 2010) and I love it except for ONE THING. The AWFUL SOUND of the system. I am putting in a steel bulkhead behind the seats within the next 2 weeks. I have consulted a local audio place and they told me this: I need at least a 2 channel amp, larger door speakers, and a couple of tweeters. All I want is a nice sounding system with a full range of highs, mids, and lows that I can crank up. I'm not looking for a LOUD booming sound that will tick off everyone around me. I hate distortion. If anyone has advice, I will greatly appreciate it. This is the worst sounding factory system that I have ever heard.

I bought my TC Cargo XLTyesterday (June 23, 2010) and I love it except for ONE THING. The AWFUL SOUND of the system. I am putting in a steel bulkhead behind the seats within the next 2 weeks. I have consulted a local audio place and they told me this: I need at least a 2 channel amp, larger door speakers, and a couple of tweeters. All I want is a nice sounding system with a full range of highs, mids, and lows that I can crank up. I'm not looking for a LOUD booming sound that will tick off everyone around me. I hate distortion. If anyone has advice, I will greatly appreciate it. This is the worst sounding factory system that I have ever heard.

Check the thread "Audio Options" as there are a few of us who have remedied this exact situation. Tin cans and kite string.....GONE.

The problem IS the speakers. They are the lousiest things I've seen. (There is a photo of them in the thread). Couple that to a little lack of power to them and you're off to see the wizard for something better. Door speakers don't have to be bigger, just need to be

better, and have a little kick. While the panels are off, stuff the backside of them with some insulation - it helps after the speakers are replaced.

An amp is a good thing too.

Roland C.

Happliy Transiting :shift:

Check the thread "Audio Options" as there are a few of us who have remedied this exact situation. Tin cans and kite string.....GONE.

The problem IS the speakers. They are the lousiest things I've seen. (There is a photo of them in the thread). Couple that to a little lack of power to them and you're off to see the wizard for something better. Door speakers don't have to be bigger, just need to be

better, and have a little kick. While the panels are off, stuff the backside of them with some insulation - it helps after the speakers are replaced.

An amp is a good thing too.

Roland C.

Happliy Transiting :shift:

Thanks for the info. I will read that thread totally. I see that many people have replaced the door speakears w/Alpine 5 1/4 SPS 500 and SPR 13C. I am putting in a steel bulkhead, so aside from replacing the door speakers, would you suggest an amp and a sub? Or maybe a powered sub and let the factory stereo power the door speakers? I just want a clear sound that I can crank up w/no distortion. Thanks again for the info.

Shannon

Thanks for the info. I will read that thread totally. I see that many people have replaced the door speakears w/Alpine 5 1/4 SPS 500 and SPR 13C. I am putting in a steel bulkhead, so aside from replacing the door speakers, would you suggest an amp and a sub? Or maybe a powered sub and let the factory stereo power the door speakers? I just want a clear sound that I can crank up w/no distortion. Thanks again for the info.

Shannon

I don't have a bulkhead, but.... I went with the SPR13C in the front doors, as well as a second pair in the back doors facing forward. They are powered by an 300 watt Alpine four channel amp, and there is also a 10" Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer. I was looking for the same thing you mention - clean sound throughout the spectrum. It works great. With the bulkhead, I don't know where you'd put the sub, but the radio is ill-powered to handle competing with a powered sub without using some type of amp on the other speakers - in my opinion.

I am SURE that replacing the speakers alone will make a huge difference. I posted a photo of the removed factory speakers - which will explain a lot in regard to the crapola sound.

There are loads of options to consider, so go and listen and look before making a long term commitment. Remember - you will be living with it for a while!

What I didn't mention is that I bought a pass through harness to use a direct hook-up of my XM receiver, and all the splicing was done in the pass through harness in order to leave the other stuff as was. I can pull the radio, remove the harness and associated wires, XM receiver and speakers and move them to my next vehicle (probably another T/C) when it's time.

REC

Roland C.

Happily Transiting :shift:

I don't have a bulkhead, but.... I went with the SPR13C in the front doors, as well as a second pair in the back doors facing forward. They are powered by an 300 watt Alpine four channel amp, and there is also a 10" Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer. I was looking for the same thing you mention - clean sound throughout the spectrum. It works great. With the bulkhead, I don't know where you'd put the sub, but the radio is ill-powered to handle competing with a powered sub without using some type of amp on the other speakers - in my opinion.

I am SURE that replacing the speakers alone will make a huge difference. I posted a photo of the removed factory speakers - which will explain a lot in regard to the crapola sound.

There are loads of options to consider, so go and listen and look before making a long term commitment. Remember - you will be living with it for a while!

What I didn't mention is that I bought a pass through harness to use a direct hook-up of my XM receiver, and all the splicing was done in the pass through harness in order to leave the other stuff as was. I can pull the radio, remove the harness and associated wires, XM receiver and speakers and move them to my next vehicle (probably another T/C) when it's time.

REC

Roland C.

Happily Transiting :shift:

Roland,

Thank you so much. I will be taking your advice and getting the Alpine SPR13Cs and an amp and sub. A friend of mine has suggested a similar set-up, but with your advice I feel like I really have the facts now. I can't wait to get them installed.

Shannon