Ford Transit Connect Forum

My sad story began about 3 months ago.

The left-front turn signal bulb failed.

I went to a nearby auto parts store and replaced it with a new bulb.

Shortly thereafter, the light started to fast-flash intermittantly indicating a blown bulb or an intermittant electrical connection. It turned out to be an intermittan connection.

Several trips to the Ford dealer later, and the fix has grown in cost to over $450!

Apparently the locking device for the socket is somewhat delicate and, if it is damaged, the entire headlamp assembly needs to be replaced! Of course, this is not covered under the warrenty - extended or otherwise.

On to the question:

Does anyone sell an electronic flasher for the 2010 to 2013 US Spec. Transit Connect?

Also, where is the flasher unit actually located?

I figure if I replace all my turn bulbs with LED units, replace the flasher unit with a suitable electronic one then make a semi-permanent repair on the damaged socket, I am good for more than 200,000 miles or total vehicle failure - whicheve comes first.

Thanks in advance...

Ack

Hello Ackerdackely. There is no flasher unit. The turn signals, and a dozen other funtions, are controled by the Generic Electronic Module (GEM). My left turn signal lamp also burned out. It is a 3357A/3457A. I do not remember the socket being anything special. At least not enough to cause a $450 repair! Is it time to try another Ford dealer?

Woah. a GEM, you say?

I guess such a unit allows for the ability to have all those other elecrical functions centralized in an effort to reduce parts counts and labor costs in the build process...

...but it kinda creates a maintenance nightmare.

I have not considered a new Ford dealer on this particular problem. The reason being - I had a rear wheel noise problem that turned into an unauthorized $830 complete brake job done at another Ford dealer. Just to see if the price was outrageous, I ran the repair cost by a shop at yet another Ford dealer and the price was the same! I suspect the same will be the case if I go to yet ANOTHER Ford dealer in the area.

My only other option is to purchase an aftermarket assembly fo 100 bucks less at RockAuto and do it myself - something I am not excited about doing.

The weather should warm enough this weekend to allow me to personally inspect the damaged unit and then make a decision on how to proceed.

So is the problem that the plastic fitting where the bulb goes in the assembly is cracked and will not hold the bulb? Or is it that the electrical connection is no solid enough to make a good contact? Whichever, it sure seems like you could shade tree engineer a solution without too much sweat.

Ack, I took a closer look at my turn signal lamp assembly. It has two blade contacts that engage in the socket in the headlamp assembly. What is the problem? Are the blade contacts in the signal lamp assembly missing/bent/broken? If so, the assembly is available on eBay for 27 dollars. If the contacts in the headlamp assembly are missing/bent/broken that is a more difficult problem to resolve. Let us know the specifics. I have an idea on how to fix the socket in the headlamp assembly, if that is the problem.

Ack, does this look like your issue??

2011 Ford Transit Connect Exterior Lighting Service Bulletin 358523

NHTSA: Action Number: 10054348 Service Bulletin Number: 358523

• Report Date:
    Sep 04, 2013
  • Component:
    Exterior Lighting

Summary: Ford: where lamp and socket contact on front turn signal, there may be looseness, damage, or distortion to lamp socket, causing turn signal to be inoperative. Model 2010-2013 transit connect. *pe

Willie and 103west43rd:

That was exactly the problem!

The upper contact tab in the housing had been somehow knocked loose.

The solution I used was a dab of hot glue at the base of the contact leaf after hand-positioning the contact back into alignment. Since it was the upper contact I was working by feel only but managed to secure the contact back into place.

The result is - IT WORKED!

I drove it on the Interstate for 70 miles (hey, it's MISSOURI!) in cold weather with zero failure.

Problem solved. $450 not spent.

Thanks all for your replies!