Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cigarette Lighter/ accessory power out

I bought a small compressor to run off the cigarette lighter in the used but "new-to-me" 2010 Transit Connect I recently bought.

The compresor is a "Slime" and said it was for truck and suv tires, well it ran for about 30 seconds and then as I tried to add air to the tire it sputtered out.

I thought at first the little 150psi compressor died trying to inflate the truck tire, but now I have found the cigarette lighter no longer functions with any device.

I changed fuse 143 (one for the lighter) even though it looked ok and still no accessory power. I decided to change a few other 15 amp fuses in an attempt to locate the "rear accessory fuse". I also changed all the 20 amp fuses (since one of them had a line down one side of the filament). I changed some of the 15 amp fuses in the underhood box as well , but still no aux power. I only changed the mini-fuses.

Radio works, truck runs, not noticing anything else not working accept TPMS indicator is on.

The only reason I even tried the little compressor was to reset the TPMS.

I went to the gas station I tried for about 2 hours to reset the TPMS but it wouldn't let me past the passenger front wheel. I aired them all back to door reccomemdation.

I have a Hayne's guide but it is for the UK models, and it has wiring/fuse information, but it appears the fuse numbers and fuse box layouts are different from US model.

Hello GroundHogg. the rear power point is fuse 174. Looking at the Central Junction Box (the Ford name for the fuse box under the dash), fuse 174 is the fourth fuse from the left on the second row from the bottom. The second and third rows from the bottom both have six fuses so you will know when you are in the correct location.

Ok, I took a picture of my under dash fuse box. On the fuse cover card it shows 174 as "I" with the book icon and is located 2 from the left(starting counting at 1), and 3 from the bottom row which is empty. The one you mention appears to be number 163 and shows a 20a fuse, unless I'm reading the card wrong. I have a lot of empty slots as I only have the XL so no power locks, etc.

post-3720-0-82708100-1377138465_thumb.jp

Edited by GroundHogg

Thanks for the picture. from what I see, you have no fuse in the rear power point fuse socket. From the right side of your picture, it is the second row. Count up 4 spaces and insert a 15 amp fuse. The first row on the right has two fuses next to each other, location 180 and 179, red (7.5 amp) and yellow (20 amp) to help you chose the correct row. I do have one question. We are talking about the REAR power point, correct? The one inside the right rear door. The reason I ask is I also have a 2010 XL and it does not have a rear power point. It has the cutout, but no socket or wiring.

yes and no:

I don't know that much about the wiring in general, I had read there were two power points, and I changed most of the 15 amp fuses (perhaps ,I left one out, but I did it one at a time ), so I thought that must be the next likely cause.

Now I'm thinking that maybe the wiring to the lighter itself has failed.

I'm only trying to get power restored to the accessory/lighter so I can run some devices in the cab.

Edited by GroundHogg

Ok, you wrote "rear accessory fuse", that is why I took you down the rear power point road. From your picture, you have fuses in both the front cigar lighter and front power point fuse sockets. One last idea, does the horn work? You wrote the TPMS light is on. There is a possibility that the horn/TPMS/cigar lighter not working could be related. Let me know if the horn works.

Yes, the horn functions.

Edit - ;I was reading on the "TPMS Sensors" forum topic, and I have ordered one of those trainer devices. I think that may solve my problem for the TPMS; I was using the owner's manual procedure that is to "re-set"; the system, and the other ;ignition cycling method; to train the sensors

If the fuses have been correctly changed then I think the only other possibility is the internal wiring to the cigarette lighter itself, which I do not believe I can get to.

I'm testing the socket with a known functioning safe; device, its a small inverter that runs in my other car and I'm just using its "on"; light for checking

I'll need to get it fixed as I want to be able to run devices in the cab, including backup camera, GPS, and maybe an External TPMS system since they have replaceable batteries

thanks

Edited by GroundHogg

I have the same problem.Front cigar lighter & power port are not showing any voltage. I too have checked & replaced all related fuses . The rear power port shows a stead 14.6 volts. I suspect a bad ground connection. Thanks to this site I found some guidance on removing the center console. I'll let you know what I find.

Funny thing is that these both worked fine for the first 2.5 years until the dealer replaced a faulty fan speed switch.

• 4 months later...

Well back in September I finally got around to opening up the center consul to expose the wiring connections to the cigarette lighter & power port. All wires and connectors are in good condition. All fuses under the dash are fine. Yet still limited voltage @ lighter & nothing from the power port. Is it possible there is another fuse under the hood that is giving me this problem ?

2 new problems!

1) The automatic door release on drivers side makes a loud buzzing noise every time it unlocks. Dealer wants $ 230.00 just for the part.

2) I've had marginal radio reception for the last 2 months. Now I know why. As I was brushing snow off the roof & windshield this morning the whole antenna & base cover came off.

Has any one replaced the base ? Looks like I'll be yanking out the headliner to make that repair.

Well back in September I finally got around to opening up the center consul to expose the wiring connections to the cigarette lighter & power port. All wires and connectors are in good condition. All fuses under the dash are fine. Yet still limited voltage @ lighter & nothing from the power port. Is it possible there is another fuse under the hood that is giving me this problem ?

2 new problems!

1) The automatic door release on drivers side makes a loud buzzing noise every time it unlocks. Dealer wants $ 230.00 just for the part.

2) I've had marginal radio reception for the last 2 months. Now I know why. As I was brushing snow off the roof & windshield this morning the whole antenna & base cover came off.

Has any one replaced the base ? Looks like I'll be yanking out the headliner to make that repair.

Jim,

You might also want to consider posting this on http://www.FlatRateTech.com

They have a bunch of Ford techs on there that might be able to help

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem.Front cigar lighter & power port are not showing any voltage. I too have checked & replaced all related fuses . The rear power port shows a stead 14.6 volts. I suspect a bad ground connection. Thanks to this site I found some guidance on removing the center console. I'll let you know what I find.

Funny thing is that these both worked fine for the first 2.5 years until the dealer replaced a faulty fan speed switch.

So could have left the wires off the back of the sockets when replacing the centre console insert under the heater knobs?

• 1 month later...

Any resolution to this? My TC is a 2011. The front power port and rear power port work fine. The cigarette lighter has no power. According to the manual, the front power port and the cigarette lighter are on the same fuse so I am not sure what's going on. I'd like to be able to use both the front power port and the cigarette lighter to charge devices when I am on the road. I'm checking at the wire connector so I know the lighter itself is not the problem. Wiring looks fine....front power port (and rear) works fine. Any ideas?

Just adding this for future reference.

Despite what it says in the owner's manual, there are seperate fuses for the cigarette lighter, front power port and rear power port on a U.S. spec 2011 Transit Connect. See my post above. The plugs for the lighter and powerports are the same and I believe mine may have been switched at some point (or at the factory). So my cigarette fuse looked fine eventhough it would not work and my powerport fuse was blown eventhough it would work. I replaced the "second power port" fuse and my lighter started working. That migh be coufusing.....short version....seperate fuses for all three 12v ports (cigarette lighter, PP in console, and PP in rear). Check all 3 if you are having this issue.

Todd