Ford Transit Connect Forum

Lil'Red is in Quarantine in California Backyard

What a journey! I wanted a little Red TC for a campervan. I felt that used would be a better value. After a lot of searching, I found one online, in the SLC area. I live in the Los Angeles area. It only had 6,500 miles on it and was a 2010 and was exactly the model I wanted. I made an offer, flew up and drove it home only to find out it could not be registered in California. Anything LESS than 7,500 miles, at point of purchase from out of state, is viewed as a NEW vehicle in California and therefore is required to have the stricter emissions system. Utah Lil' Red was a 49-State Vehichle, which I have since learned a whole lot about. I simply could not register the vehicle and was told by the DMV to sell it to someone from out of state. The DMV RED FLAGGED the vehicle so it could NEVER be registered within California.

It was a frustrating experience. I did not want to be vulnerable to selling it online to someone from out of state.

I took it to a local dealer and traded it in, yes, and took a loss, but drove home a NEW Lil' Red, exactly the same model.

Actually New Lil' Red has a few nicer ammenties than did the 2010 Utah version. So, what's a few thousand dollars? Lessons are always learned the hardway it seems. Life is short - move on is my philosophy.

Edited by SadieBabe