Ford Transit Connect Forum

Diesel

Dick

There will be an all-electric before a diesel comes to the U.S.

That sucks. Sorry Ford. I wanted to buy from you guys, but I'm out on that electric crap.

Whoever runs this forum can remove me as a user now.

Edited by Dick

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have a source for the all electric? That would be my 2nd choice to knock-knock-knock =)

Thanks!

Tommy

I sent a query to Ford about the possibility of a USA diesel version. I got a reply quite quickly which neither confirmed nor denied one....They did say they had "no information" on a diesel option and further stated that such an announcement would be kept confidential until a formal press release had been made.

I hope this means that they have listened and plan on a USA diesel, but for now I'm with the rest of you in thinking that a 25 mpg gas job with only a 4 speed auto trans is just NOT acceptable here, especially when a 38 mpg diesel version is available to those of you across the pond. I had an 8,450 GVW 5 cylinder Sprinter 2.7L diesel that could get 23 mpg here in the USA, and now own a new VW Jetta Sportwagen 2.0 CR TDI 6 speed manual that gives me 44 mpg on a highway trip.....so why would I buy a TC half the size of the Sprinter and settle for only 25 mpg???

WAKE UP FORD!!

Bob Hill

Staten Island, NY, USA

Well, they're not likely to state ANY further intention without any sense of how sales are likely to be, a 200-day supply on lots, and any indication they DO have being relatively poor. No matter what they decide, it won't be until stocks are at MOST 45 days. The only effect any Diesel annoucement would be without a market ready North American version would be to convert a bunch of interim sales into non-sales.

Plus, the US isn't quite as diesel friendly as the EU and elswhere. Small vehicle economies just aren't at similar payback points yet, and in an era when Ford is weighing every cent it wagers, it's going to be conservative on such matters for QUITE a while.

Well, they're not likely to state ANY further intention without any sense of how sales are likely to be, a 200-day supply on lots, and any indication they DO have being relatively poor. No matter what they decide, it won't be until stocks are at MOST 45 days. The only effect any Diesel annoucement would be without a market ready North American version would be to convert a bunch of interim sales into non-sales.

Plus, the US isn't quite as diesel friendly as the EU and elswhere. Small vehicle economies just aren't at similar payback points yet, and in an era when Ford is weighing every cent it wagers, it's going to be conservative on such matters for QUITE a while.

I hear you, Madlock...and in the scheme of things I guess Ford has to be conservative. I'm not trying to knock the TC at all--I'd just hate to buy one of the gas variety just a short time before the one I'd really like is available.

I've seen the TC and for my use it's perfect.....I sold my Sprinter simply because it was TOO big, I'd retired and now I see the TC and say "WOW- THIS IS JUST RIGHT!". If a diesel is a long wait, perhaps I'll go for a gas job any way-- cause you sure can't fit anything really bulky in a Jetta Sportwagen even if it is a TDI.

I'm going to follow this site and others and see how it plays out--but so far the TC makes the most sense I've seen in a long time-- if only it had the diesel I'd go buy one tomorrow. BTW, Madlock-- we're close...where are you in Jersey?

Bob Hill

Staten Island NY USA

I spoke with Azure Dymanics the other day as we are becoming a dealer for their Hybrid Econoline. They are also the company that is modifying the TC to an all electric version which will debut at the Chicago Auto Show next month and is supposed to go on sale towards the end of the year.

I hear you, Madlock...and in the scheme of things I guess Ford has to be conservative. I'm not trying to knock the TC at all--I'd just hate to buy one of the gas variety just a short time before the one I'd really like is available.

I've seen the TC and for my use it's perfect.....I sold my Sprinter simply because it was TOO big, I'd retired and now I see the TC and say "WOW- THIS IS JUST RIGHT!". If a diesel is a long wait, perhaps I'll go for a gas job any way-- cause you sure can't fit anything really bulky in a Jetta Sportwagen even if it is a TDI.

I'm going to follow this site and others and see how it plays out--but so far the TC makes the most sense I've seen in a long time-- if only it had the diesel I'd go buy one tomorrow. BTW, Madlock-- we're close...where are you in Jersey?

Bob Hill

Staten Island NY USA

On the flip-side, you could always pick-up a TC now with the intent of trading it in on the Diesel if/when one becomes available. If the interim utility you receive from it offsets the tax benefit of the depreciation, not only will you be doing yourself a favor but also helping Ford out at a time when it seems to be the only maker who has to earn its funding. :)

Too bad you didn't jump before the year-end while the tax incentives were still in effect that would have allowed you to all-but fully depreciate the whole darn thing and get paid half back during tax season.

I'm in central NJ, not far from Staten Island at all. I couldn't interest you in a nice Adrian Steel upfit package, could I? :)

Edited by madlock