Ford Transit Connect Forum

LED Driving Light Conversion

I have 2 other cars, a 2015 mirage and a 1999 miata,  on which i have upgraded all the lights to LED. These are my wife's cars that she drives, so i wanted her to be safe and be able to see and be seen.  Focusing on her,  i neglected my 2016 TC. Now,  the process has begun...

I first upgraded the headlights, but bought one of those bundle deals off of Amazon,  which included three different LED bulbs, and all the same type,  H11.  I installed the headlights first,  which i admit was a bit tight fitting my hands in those little holes in the back of the housing,  but got them installed. The beast was the DRL bulbs in the corners that you access through the same hole, but got those as well.  It was late, so i didn't attempt the driving lights,  had a feeling it was going to be a bit harder. 

A couple of days later,  i began.  I started with the drivers side, and wouldn't you know it,  i was right.  There is some sort of plastic box mounted inside the bumper right behind the driving light access to the bulb.  This thing makes getting that bulb out extremely difficult,  especially since i didn't take the fender liner out, only loosened a couple of plastic fasteners.  I finally got it out and the new LED bulb in, and checked it.  It flashed on, then off, then on, then off again,  then on yet again, and finally off for good. Thinking maybe it was because i only had one bulb in and the other still the halogen,  i turned the van off and swapped the passenger side bulb.  

This one was so much easier, as there was no plastic box, or anything else, in my way!  

I turned the lights back on with the van running, and they did it again, this time both of them.  On...off...on...off...on...off. then would not come back on until i turned the van off and when i turned it back on, the process stated anew.

I called the bulb manufacturer, and was told i needed a canbus anti-flicker device,  essentially it plugs into the harness, then into the bulb.  Supposedly,  it somehow adjusts the voltage the van senses through the light or something and adjusts the voltage to eliminate the flicker.  So, i ordered a set. 

I received the canbus devices and proceeded to put them in.  No change.  Exactly the same,  on,off, .....

So I'm thinking then the problem must be with the bulbs.  Back to Amazon where i ordered a set of H11 LED bulbs with the module built in. Less wiring, fewer connections,  smaller device. 

I was so happy when i clicked the switch to AUX, turned on the lights and driving lights, and they all worked.  Even took pics and sent to my friend. Paying myself on the back for a job well done, i cleaned up, and went in for a bit of rest. 

The next day, after work, i went to my mom's and mowed her yard.  It was almost dark by the time i left there,  so i started up the van and realized i forgot to blow the grass off the drive.  As i walked in front of the van,  i saw the driving lights turn off for the final time.  I finished the grass,  turned off the van and the lights,  thinking it was because i had them on auto,  then restarted and turned the lights on and driving lights, only to get the same result. 

I drove home heartbroken that all that pulling and twisting and scrapes on my arms and hands was for naught.  Once back in my driveway,  i began to experiment.  If the switch is on to AUX or accessory, the lights all work.  But, if i turn the switch all the way to on,  the driving lights do the on, off thing. 

Does anyone have any idea as to why?  How do i fix this? 

Sorry for the long story, but i wanted to include as much info as possible in case there was something I've done incorrectly during the process.  Can anyone help? 

that's mine in the background with my work van in front for comparison 20210511_204703.thumb.jpg.822cb7fe377e77dd946cfebcffcb72b9.jpg

20210511_204754.jpg