Ford Transit Connect Forum

Access behind dash

eresweber

My TC finally arrived. My insurance company (Progressive) sent me a device called a Snapshot which plugs into the computer port behind the dash. The device collects data and transmits it to Progressive. I can view the data online--pretty cool (we have one in another vehicle). After collecting data on my driving for six months I could be elligible for additional discounts on my insurance.

In the TC this port is to the left of the steering wheel near the door, and behind a small panel that pulls off. When I plug the Snapshot device into the port the panel won't go back into place. The Snapshot is only about two inches long but will be in the way of the panel cover. I don't want to drive around for six months with the panel cover off, plus the Snapshot device could easily get bumped and damaged getting in and out of the vehicle.

I thought about relocating the port but getting to it will require opening up the dash more than just the small panel cover, but I don't want to damage anything trying to get it open. I found an access hole on the end of the dash against the door, but it isn't enough to reach the port. Does anyone have any tips on opening up that part of the dash to the left of the steering wheel?

Thanks very much.

Eric

Eric,

Good news it's a simple fix.

I installed an UltraGauge readout and had the same issue.

Woody, A forum member posted a fix:

"IF YOU LOOK AT THE OBDII CONNECTOR, IT IT HELD ON WITH TWO TORX SCREWS. TAKE THEM OUT AND CAREFULLY REMOVE THE OBDII CONNECTOR. IT HAS A 90 DEGREE BRACKET WITH ADDITIONAL HOLES. PULL THE PAL CLIPS OFF THE MOUNTING AND PUT THEM ON THE OBDII CONNNECTOR AND

REMOUNT THE OBDII FACING DOWN. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLUG IN YOUR WIRE AND BE ABLE TO PUT THE FUSE BOX COVER ON. ON THE SIDE OF THE DASH BY THE DOOR, THERE IS AN ADDITION ACCESS PANEL WHERE YOU CAN THREAD YOUR WIRE AND GET IT UP TO THE DASH OR GO UNDERNEATH THE DASH TO THE CENTER.

WOODY"

You can also do a search for UltraGauge to find the original postings

Roland (boomer43)