Ford Transit Connect Forum

Brake Shift Interlock Adjustment?

Blaine B.

Is there a specific procedure for "adjusting" the brake shift interlock? Is this even possible?

Late last year, my Father's 2013 XLT Wagon developed an issue where the gear shift seemed to be a bit stiff. The vehicle was taken into Ford for a check-up and they kept it overnight, but were not able to replicate the issue.

Fast forward to this spring, my Father claimed that he was unable to get the key out of the ignition one night. I came by the next day and was able to pull it right now.

I have recently experienced difficulty with getting the van to shift out of park. To the point where you occasionally will NOT be able to fully depress the button on the gear shift, even when depressing the brake.

I have also most recently experienced an inability to get the key out of the ignition, last night. I noticed that if I push forward on the gear shift lever, I was able to remove the key.

Before taking the van back in to Ford so that they won't be able to replicate the issue, is there anything that I can adjust myself? I am assuming that all of these issues are related to the interlock. Or something else? Any other ideas? Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their Transit Connect?

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

My Father took the van in a third time, and although the dealer was unable to replicate the issue, they went ahead and replaced the entire shift mechanism. Time will tell if the issue arises, but I can tell that the gear shift moves a lot smoother than it did previously. Hopefully this problem will not persist any more.