Ford Transit Connect Forum

What is the maximum length for a ladder on a Transit Connect?

My husband is a house painter and we've been looking at the Transit Connect and love it. He's driving a small Nissan truck right now and would love to buy one but we can't find much information about ladder racks? Does anyone know of a ladder rack that will hold a 32' extension ladder on the Transit Connect? Thank you for any help.

Francie

My husband is a house painter and we've been looking at the Transit Connect and love it. He's driving a small Nissan truck right now and would love to buy one but we can't find much information about ladder racks? Does anyone know of a ladder rack that will hold a 32' extension ladder on the Transit Connect? Thank you for any help.

Francie

I hate to say it, but I don't think your husband's going to be able to carry a 32' ladder on this vehicle safely. I have a single side lock down rack from American Van made by Masterack. It and most others I've looked at have a 28' max limit. I did see a Canadian made rack (over $1000) that could support longer ladders but it had additional support bars sticking out the front. A 28' extension ladder is almost the exact same length as the vehicle itself, so a 32' is going to stick out front and back. If I mount my 28' fiberglass even with front and back, I have to be careful when releasing the lock down mechanism because the ladder falls forward onto the hood because of where the front cross bow is (halfway point of the ladder and vehicle). Because the roof of the vehicle slopes down in the front, passers-by will hit their heads on a 32' ladder that sticks out beyond the hood.

full.jpg

Edited by PetrosA