Ford Transit Connect Forum

This damned radio.... (6000 CD)

madlock

Can anyone smarter than me help?

I've noticed that there seems to be an additional band in addition to the multiple FM and AM bands. When the band is selected (by cycling the AM/FM button), the display reads "AST" toward the center, and an additional "TP" indicator seems to activate next to it. With these stations, there seems to be streaming text information that includes "VISTEON".

IMG_0801_L.JPG

Does anyone know if there's any significance to this or what it happens to be? I've Googled the hell out of both AST and "TP", and nothing seems to show.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

(And if anyone knows why my windowless cargo van happens to have a rear working rear defroster switch (in image), I'd just LOVE to know why! :)

Edited by madlock

I have AST on my 2001 Focus

AST is Auto Store of FM radio stations.

For the Focus, "The FM-AST preset will store the 6 strongest stations by pressing and holding the AM/FM button until the frequency scanning is seen in the display."

TP in the TC manual states: Note: If TP appears in the display, it is an indicator that RDS is active. RDS provides radio station information like identification, program info, time, etc.

For some vehicles TP is a Traffic alert setting. It interrupts the station broadcast and returns to the original broadcast after the message. A reference to this feature can be found for Volvo at Page 201

http://www.volvocars.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Owners%20Area/Know/MY06/V70/V70_XC70_owners_manual_MY06_EN_tp8170.pdf?AID=10546635&PID=3282103

Hope this will help you figure out what whether these features are available on your model and that is what is being displayed on your menu.

Edited by kmoilan1

Hey Mad,

No guidance here, but I now understand that AST thing a little better. I thought it was a third set of selections for FM, and apparently programmed it initially without knowing it was something else. I have the FM1, FM2, and AST - 18 presets... Now the question arises... 18? how do you use 18? Truth is, I probably use the AUX for XM more than anything else. But hey... who knew?

Interesting..... verrrrrrry interesting.

Roland C.

Happily Transiting shift.gif

I appreciate all the information and guidance. I've yet to make any sense of the "TP" traffic information whatsoever, but I at least now know it's something that could potentially be useful. How? I have no idea. :) Thanks, Ford.

The AST band is very nice, I suppose. Like many, I've defaulted to using AUX input more than anything, listening to stored or streaming content from my iPhone. Ironically, for any broadcast station, the digital audio provided through my iPhone is MUCH better than any broadcast signal. I was actually amazed the first time I heard an AM station crystal clear. I also piggy-backed my Sirius/XM subscription from my Flex and MKS onto my iPhone, so I have about 80% of the standard satellite channel content available to me in the Transit Connect via iPhone.

Even so, I dearly miss an integrated audio/navigation/satellite solution; but not so much that I'd opt back for the FWS computer. I just wouldn't. I'm hoping to find a good double DIN touch screen that I can drive from a Car PC which is about the only way to get what I want, absent an integrated product capable of everything I want. I'd ideally love to install a full-blown in-dash SYNC navigation system from another vehicle; but the fact that Ford has integrated so many other features like climate into the unit make mating it to the TC a pretty tough proposition, I suppose.

What really cheeses me is that the Nokia Bluetooth system apparently really isn't one. It's an add-on module specific to the 6000 CD that pretty much adds the steering wheel controls and a microphone. Had Ford marketed it for what it really is, a bluetooth enhanced head unit, I probably would have chosen differently and saved myself the $200 bucks.

In the meantime, my TC is in the shop for a slew of work. A failed sensor is causing the Crusie Control to evaporate, the left sliding door retention bracket was fractured at installation, and the armrest popped out of the seat along with some shrapnel that turned out to be shorn from the driver's seat. I apparently got a real "winner" this time too. :(

Nevertheless, the info and help is much appreciated!

Edited by madlock

• 6 months later...