Ford Transit Connect Forum

8 foot lumber

Having driven shortie cargo caravans for years, I long ago worked around the 4x8 sheet carrying limitations, but quite a reasonable number of standard height studs go in between the front seats with the rear door shut. Any chance of pulling the part of the 'console' between the seats to pull this off in the TC?

Any other simple interior options for studs? Any hands on experience appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure. Either suspend them or carry them raised on an elevated shelf whereby they can extend between the driver and passenger above the center console, yet short of the center stack.

My 2006 VW rabbit had a front passenger seat that folded down forward flat. I was able to fit a large number of 8 footers inside just a little screwed and shut the back hatch. I was wondering if I might be able to take apart my front seat and find a way to be able to remove the hard stop.

Has anyone done this?

Sure would be another nice thing Ford should think about doing. It was one feature I will miss about the rabbit.

Another idea ,, It would probably be worth a few minutes to unbolt and take out that front seat for an more extended use situation.

The fact that you can't yet do this is a product of Transit Connect's "simplification" for the North American market. A fold-flat passenger seat, and even an OEM Accessory folding bulkhead that can fully compartmentalize the driver's seat and center console, are core to the European version.

One solution I saw being implemented for Siemens was a custom modification of one of the standard bulkhead offerings in that a pass-through had been cut into the base directly behind the passenger seat to accommodate some longer items, albeit in limited fashion.

Having driven shortie cargo caravans for years, I long ago worked around the 4x8 sheet carrying limitations, but quite a reasonable number of standard height studs go in between the front seats with the rear door shut. Any chance of pulling the part of the 'console' between the seats to pull this off in the TC?

Any other simple interior options for studs? Any hands on experience appreciated.

The only issue would be that the hand brake sits betwwen the seats. I get a few 4' x 8' sheets in by pushing the passenger seat forward and then tilting it forward. The sheets fit on a diagonal from rear left to front right standing on edge. As "madlock" mentions due to the chicken tax the fold flat front seat can't come here until they build them here.