Ford Transit Connect Forum

No electrics, but engine still running.

Hello all.  I've got a 2010 TC and have an electrical gremlin that would make Lord Lucas proud.  The truck will be running and I'll do something like step on the brakes or turn on the turn signal and the dash lights will flicker/click several times and sometimes everything returns to normal, sometime all the electric completely shuts off.  If I'm idling in park I'm stuck in Park and can't shift until it decides to turn back on.  I'm thinking it is a grounding issue, but was hoping to get some direction about where to look (my local dealer said there are something like 157 grounding points).  I can disconnect the ground from the battery and then after reconnecting everything is good for a few on/off cycles.  Also, the hotter the outside temps the worse it is.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

I am not a diagnostic wizard. But, I do have the wiring diagrams, so I'll give you what I've got.

Turns and brake lights are powered through the GEM via F130 and grounded at G410/411, which are on the sides of the body, just inside the rear doors, below the windowline. The hazard flasher uses G203. The GEM itself uses G200/203, which are "instrument panel - center" (behind the HVAC controls) and "instrument panel - right" (passenger footwell). The instrument cluster is powered through F137/179/148, and grounds to G203 as well.

Were I in your shoes, I would start by checking/cleaning the "major" wiring: battery posts, and all the other places batt. negative goes (presumably body/subframe/block), then I'd check/clean the grounds I listed above, as well as the lightbulbs whose engagement triggers the problem, and see if any of the wiring to any of those things is chafed or otherwise goofy-looking.

You can also have a dealer test the GEM. My focus is generally older vehicles; I have no idea how a GEM works.

Let me know if you want actual pictures of anything from the wiring diagrams.

Best of luck!