Ford Transit Connect Forum

Backup Camera Recommendations

madlock

I've decided that a backup camera is a must have item, and I'm not about to let something as trivial as Ford not offering one on the Transit Connect stand in my way. :)

(Given how beneficial backup cameras happen to be, why Ford would choose to omit it from the TC remains a mystery to me, but that's another matter entirely.)

So, I'm wondering if anyone has found any backup camera that happens to integrate particularly well with the Transit Connect. (There are many available, including those that mount to the license plate frame, but its offset location makes those less than ideal.) I'm going to install one of the rear-view mirrors with integrated LCD displays available for vehicles like the Fusion, Mustang, and Milan that support backup cameras without navigation screens. (I'd love to be able to integrate a backup camera to the FWS Computer, but I'd settle for the FWS Computer just running for more than 2 minutes without crashing which is also another matter entirely) :(

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided that a backup camera is a must have item, and I'm not about to let something as trivial as Ford not offering one on the Transit Connect stand in my way. :)

(Given how beneficial backup cameras happen to be, why Ford would choose to omit it from the TC remains a mystery to me, but that's another matter entirely.)

So, I'm wondering if anyone has found any backup camera that happens to integrate particularly well with the Transit Connect. (There are many available, including those that mount to the license plate frame, but its offset location makes those less than ideal.) I'm going to install one of the rear-view mirrors with integrated LCD displays available for vehicles like the Fusion, Mustang, and Milan that support backup cameras without navigation screens. (I'd love to be able to integrate a backup camera to the FWS Computer, but I'd settle for the FWS Computer just running for more than 2 minutes without crashing which is also another matter entirely) :(

We have the 310A package with rear glass. So we have gone with what we've used on other vans: a Fresnel lens. They apply to the inside rear window, show behind the vehicle nearly to the ground behind the bumper, never break and cost $12.

wide-angle-fresnel-lens-large.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello My name is Richard

I sell the Camera kit for the Transit Connect. Its very nice and only the Transit. My email is radvett@earthlink.net my phone is 714-900-0239 USA Anaheim,CA

TansitFlyer1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm having a flush mounted camera installed in my rear door today. 170 degree (diagonal) view, low price, and night vision mode too. There is a slightly recessed flat spot right of and just above the license plate level. About as close to the centerline of the rear as reasonable. I'm having a local audio shop do the job as I don't have the right tools. The camera seems to have good specs and reviews. I'll know in a day how good it is.

Link.

4D

• 2 weeks later...

I took the quick and inexpensive route.

Camera and display mirror were $80 from Fry's Electronics in California

Camera is mounted to one of the license plate lamps.

Mirror clips on over existing mirror.

Only downside is mirror is so dark that it is only marginally useful as an actual rear view mirror when my rear windows are unobstructed.

post-404-054059500 1280012562_thumb.jpg

post-404-018408400 1280012573_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've ordered an Echomaster backup camera for my transit it should be here tomorrow. I'm going to wire it to my in dash Pionner AVP3200 for a clean professional look. I like the way Echomaster has designed the camera to just replace one of the rear license plate lights. Should be a nice afternoon project for next weekend. I'll post some pics of the install after it's done.

Just ordered the EchoMaster EV-FT822 backup camera ($99 + shipping) and will be hooking it up to a Garmin Nuvi 5000. Turns out the GPS was the same price as a 4.2" monitor from Echomaster, or about $190. Will post pics and review once I get it installed.

Hey STxFarmer that's a ggod price for that camera where did you order it from, was it online?

• 5 weeks later...

@Ship It:

Thanks for posting photos of your install. I'm considering an Echomaster camera, and I happen to have the same Pioneer head unit installed in my TC. How are you liking it now that you've had it for a month? In your photo, the image on your monitor appears tilted, or not quite level. Is that just an illusion?

I was in Autozone today they had what look like 2" x 2" monitor screen, it fit to tag. It was $80 then $87 tax. You could also make a bracket to lower rear bumper easy to drill in. The monitor scene may fit in hole above auto shift in center console lest notice by persons who like get free stuff that we pay for.

• 1 month later...

4D, just curious where you got the hardware for the backup camera? If you can remember and a estimate on the cost that would be awesome.

Thanks

My camera is in. Photo:

Rear%20View%20Camera_small.jpg

Image on the 7" screen is excellent. Wide angle view sees the road about 2' behind the rear bumper edge from the position I have the camera located. That area is angled down a few degrees, which is perfect for the camera.

• 3 years later...

I realize this thread is a bit old but I'm hoping that a few of you who responded are still around. I recently put in a new stereo head (JVC KW-V30BT) and the EchoMaster back-up camera. I'm having a few issues and I'm hoping one of you can help me out. First problem. When I connected the camera above the license plate the light on the camera works but the other license plate light no longer works. 2nd problem. On the back of the head unit there is purple/white wire that's supposed to be connected to the "reverse lamp harness" so that the camera will automatically turn on when the vehicle is placed in reverse. Where in the dash is this harness and what wire do I tap into? Thanks.

Hello homebrewermike. I may be able to help, but will need further detailed info. Your first problem I do not understand. You need to be more specific about what you have done.For the second problem, do you need +12 volts to connect to your purple/white wire or does it need to be grounded to work? Once I know the answer, I can direct you to the proper connection to tap into.

Hello homebrewermike. I may be able to help, but will need further detailed info. Your first problem I do not understand. You need to be more specific about what you have done.For the second problem, do you need +12 volts to connect to your purple/white wire or does it need to be grounded to work? Once I know the answer, I can direct you to the proper connection to tap into.

First problem. Being more specific: I unhooked the license plate light and replaced it with the EchoMaster camera. I then ran the video wire to the stereo head. I then connected power wire by splicing into the wires in the taillight that light up the reverse white light. The camera works and the light on the camera works but the second license plate not longer works. I did not make any changes to the secon light. I'm wondering if it's a low voltage thing. 2) It needs to be connected to a +12 volt source that only powers on when the vehicle is shifted to reverse. So I need to find the hot wire in the dash or shifter area.

ok homebrewermike.What side license plate light did you remove? The power (hot +12 volts) goes to the left license plate light then to the right license plate light. The left side light has two wires on its hot side. If you removed the left side light and socket, you may have broken the connection to the right side license plate light. For issue #2, the connector for the shifter does not have a isolated reverse circuit. All the wiring goes into electronic modules. The power for the reverse lights comes from the reverse relay in the battery junction box above and behind the battery, and goes through the firewall and down the left side of the Transit Connect. If you are up to it, the wire goes into a 20 pin connector behind the kick panel under the dash, to the left of the fuse panel, on the inside of the left fender. If you get this far and remove the panel, you will notice there are two 20 pin connectors. Only one of them has a Green wire with a Yellow stripe. It is in the #7 position of the connector. That is the power to the reverse lights. Good luck!

Edited by 103west43rd

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I purchased a Roesta kit that is made for the Ford TC platform. The kit includes a integrated rear camera with color monitor that replaces the factory mirror, the camera replaces the license plate light to the right and comes with all wiring. I purchased the kit from a dealer in MI for about $300.00, it was very easy to install and powers from the reverse circuit and ground from the chasis inside the tail lamp assembly. Roesta is a provider to the major automotive companies. I will post pictures soon and if anyone is interested message me and I will provide all details including contact name, part number, etc.

• 1 year later...