Ford Transit Connect Forum

Anyone tried Bilsteins?

MLB

I've seen them listed now for TC's.  B(I think)4's for oem replacement.  B6 for 'upgraded performance". I've run Bilsteins before on other cars, quality choice.  I did read that the 6's raise the ride height because they mount slightly differently than the stockers.  

At 48,000 now so i might consider it in another 10,000.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The van's ride is already pretty stiff and jiggly unladen.   I don't want to add stiffer shocks to that. I just want the best handling I can get while maintaining the stock ride as much as possible. 
So I'll go with the B4's.

Edited by MLB

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MLB said:

I've put the rears on but shops want $900-1000 to install front struts! WTF?

Buy all the parts to build up the struts and then do a swap. You should replace the upper spring perches and strut mounts every time you change the dampers anyway. The plastic/rubber bits probably aren't required but, given the state mine were in at 75k miles when I had to replace the dampers, I don't see them surviving until 150k miles either. The springs are the only significant cost item where the replacement isn't necessary. I bought new everything, built up struts before I tore the car apart, then swapped struts, then tore down my worn out struts to save the springs and a few bits for next time I need to replace the dampers.

Just a quick brand pointer: Don't get KYB bellows and bumpers. The bellows don't stay on their own strut tops (which seem to work fine and look like the Ford part). They're also too short and look like the diameter that hits the Bilstein B6 body is not quite small enough. Go with some OEM bellows or something like that.

On the point of installation, I'm struggling with the passenger side where I've started a thread on that: 

• 4 months later...