Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hi, carrying motocross bikes

andyh

Hi there,

Ive recently bought a ktm motocross bike and need a van to transport it, im looking at a smaller van if possible, which is where the connect comes in (mk2, lwb).

My concern is the headroom as these bikes are TALL!!  Ive found several connect's converted to WAV (wheel chair access vehicles) with lowered floors, which im sure will be great, but if I could buy a standard connect lwb that would be perfect.

Has anybody any experience of this at all please?

Cheers

I just bought a mk1 / 2013 SPECIFICALLY because they are taller than the mk2... and yeah, the van's purpose is to haul a DRZ-400S around.  You might get away with a mk2 if you compress the forks a little, or swap out the 21" front wheel for a 12" plywood disk. You'll have an extra 6" in length over me that I wouldn't complain about, but I don't want to give up the 4" of height. I've got 53/54" height in mine, it's just enough with the ram mounts (mirror, gps) folded down. Measure your bike (probably 50" tall and about 84" long), then go look up the specs. There were dimensions / links that I posted on FB a while back. https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordTCUSA/permalink/2596117820687578

I can't speak to the KTM, but both of my cheap Chinese street-legal dual sports fit into my 2015 TC LWB - with the mirrors taken off them, lol. The main issue is at the rear door D-pillar, since that doorway hangs down a bit lower than the inside of the ceiling/roof. 2014 Bashan Storm 250 & 2020 Tao TBR7, if you'd like to compare specs against the KTM.

tbrown, you are comparing US-spec generations of TC. Andyh is in the EU, where what we call the first-gen TC came in like 2 different wheelbases and 3 roof heights, where the US only got the LWB "high-roof" version of that model, as I recall. 

Expensive dirt bikes are taller than cheapies and dual sports because they have much longer suspension travel.  I hauled my kids ttr230 ok, but tight with my DRZ and no way with buddies CR250.

Edited by MLB