Ford Transit Connect Forum

2021 Connect Cargo Cell Phone Mounting

Jed

Have had my LWB Cargo Connect for a week and having a problem finding a functional cell phone holder/mount.  I ordered ne from ProClipUSA, and surprisingly it does not fit the dashboard.  I believe it is illegal in California to use a windshield monted suction cup.  Finally I have never found a dashboard top suction cup that hangs onto the texture of the dashboard,  Any thoughts/successes?

Thanks

Jed

In California, you can use the suction cup device holder in the upper or lower corners of the windshield. This is acceptable.

california_mount_law.jpgCell-Phone-Mount-AB-1785.jpg

The idea is that you do not have anything in the middle of your windshield.  These are images of not acceptable.

windshield-mount-e1501961195135.jpgws_P038100-W019905325_G2.jpgs-l1600.jpg

My 2020 TC Wagon has the charging cubby so I didn't move the rig in my 2015 TC Wagon over to the new one. But here's a photo of how I had it rigged in my 2015. There's also a couple other photos of how I used RAM parts for other needs in my TC. Almost all the parts are from RAM Mounts, except the wireless charger/holder which was from Tylt. But now RAM has it's own wireless charger/holders so now you can build it all from RAM parts. That's the biggest reason I like RAM, you can mix and match components to meet your specific need. They've got a lot better parts now, including mounting rails with slidable T-fittings. I've only occasionally regretted having my phone in the charging cubby and the screen not visible so I haven't felt the need to install a new RAM rig. But if I do, I'll likely be able to reuse many of the old removed parts and can just add the few new parts that may be useful.

20151023_144711 crop.jpg

20151023_144753 crop.jpg

20151023_151513 resized.jpg

On 3/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, Tile Guy said:

vent mounted phone holder/charger

I tried a few of those.  I just wan't impressed.  They wobbled.  Scratched into the vent piece.  And just didn't feel sturdy and well made.  Maybe the ones I bought were junk because I picked a low price model.  I didn't like those mounts that stuck into the CD slot either.  I tried using the magnetic holders.  An even worse idea.  

The worst I tried was this one.  It fit perfectly on the Transit Connect dash.  Clips right on.  But doesn't stay.  A little road vibration, hang a corner, and the phone goes flying.  The vent clip has a little spring, which pops out and the clip falls apart.  

61y4c%2BN9TEL._AC_SL1000_.jpgdashboard car phone holder

I get that most people don't want to drill into their cars.  The most common mount systems us dual tabs, a 17mm ball mount, or AMPS hole pattern.  There are options.  Obviously, if you screw it into your dashboard, it's a little more stable.  I still have a few Garmin GPS units which I actually like using.  So the ball mount is something I like to have.

51G4D6HP0LL._AC_SL1000_.jpg6135i5sjUfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg61fMAO69pHL._AC_SL1000_.jpg71MWi0YhpnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

8 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I get that most people don't want to drill into their cars. 

One of the first RAM Mount solutions I tried was to address exactly this issue. It has a base that attaches using one of your existing seat mounting bolts. Pull the bolt, put it through the RAM mount, and reinstall.

It worked well on my prior vehicle and for just phone holding worked fine on my Transit Connect. The only drawback was the need to slide the passenger seat fully forward to access the storage compartment underneath. The seat would hang up on the mount.

The mount I posted above started out using that prior floor mount. I just removed the riser pole from the base and then swapped out the universal phone holder for the wireless charger. But the floor mount using the seat bolt was very firm and bending the pole to reach where I wanted it worked well. And while I was using it, passengers said it was not obtrusive. It was only the large seat movement that started hitting it and made me switch.

I've got what you need. I've just developed a prototype of a space-age phone mount specifically designed for the 19-21 TC. Behold. Now, I know what you're thinking; it looks like a belt-clip for an Otterbox attached to a length of black-painted plywood via rubber bands from the grocery store, but I assure you this is made from the highest quality of materials.

Slip this baby into the slot in the dash and you're good to go. I accept Paypal and most Cryptocurrencies. 

1.png

2.png

11 hours ago, DonShockley said:

drawback was the need to slide the passenger seat fully forward

I looked at that.  Not a great idea if somebody wants to fold down the passenger seat.  

I don't see a reason not to mount it on the driver side.  

11 hours ago, DonShockley said:

bending the pole to reach where I wanted it worked well

I see those gooseneck extensions in use on fleet vehicles.  Some models are strong enough to hold laptop computers in place.  I suspect that each brand is a little different, and that some are stronger than others.