Ford Transit Connect Forum

Gas Tank Size seems OFF????

KirkVoclain

I have a 2020 Transit Connect XLT....the sticker says I have a 15.8 Gallon Tank. HOWEVER.....I drilled a hole into my gas tank (LONG STORY,,,,DON'T ASK) and I had to have it replaced....several "THOUSANDS" later I have a new gas tank. 

My problem is....as an example....today, I get the notice that I have 50miles to empty. But I kept driving....I got it all the way down to 11 miles to empty and then I pulled into a gas station. When I tried to fill up, all I could SQUEEZE IN was 13.2 gallons....and then, it kinda overflowed a little. So, either they put in a smaller tank, or......I still got 2 gallons in the tank when it says I only have 11 miles to empty.

I guess, it could be the sensor is off too.

I'm wondering what ya'll think??? What do you think is my issue, should I have the dealership take a look? It's still under warranty and warranty for the repair.

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.

Kirk

The dashboard readout is an estimate.  Not a precise reading.  It also errs on the side of caution.  It's suppose to fool you into fueling before you truly run dry.  FORScan has a Fuel Level Indicator gauge.  FLI.  It's almost like monitoring a little floating bobber.  It rises and falls by quite a bit as fuel sloshes, and as you transition to different grades.  The dash readout probably accounts for that.  We wouldn't want you to run dry going uphill, where the dash reads however many miles are left.

screenshot_2021_03_07_13_41_01_663ea44cdc5f2ea13fdb1711d0c70d5a01c5c4e7.png

Hummm, Im going to have to investigate.  Recently picked up a bluetooth OBDLink MX+ OBD2 adapter.  Will have to check out Forescan and the see what it can do.  Originally got it to check up on the battery on my new BoltEV and reset codes on my Yamaha motorcycle.

23 hours ago, KirkVoclain said:

.I still got 2 gallons in the tank when it says I only have 11 miles to empty.

Was the low fuel warning on?  If not then there are about 50 miles left.

Running a car with an in tank fuel pump dry can be very expensive  so having more than you thought is a good thing.  The readout is about the same as mine.

This morning I did my biggest fill ever (including my prior 2015 TC) on my 2020 after skipping my weekly fill up last week. Ran with the low fuel warning on since yesterday and it showing I was down to 8 miles to empty with the needle solidly into the "E" on the guage.

Fill was 14.487 US gallons.

I once ended up running my '15 TC XL cargo van dry (hey, it was 2am out here in rural Texas, lol) and it had shown me "0 Miles to Empty" for about 35-40 miles, driving at 70-75MPH and my van averages 24.5 MPG overall, FWIW. That was a few years ago now, so I don't recall how much it took to actually fill up - on top of the half-gallon or so that I had dumped in after walking two blocks home for my Jerry can, of course. Specs online show 15.8 gallon tank, though.  

But, add your "11 miles remaining" on top of my 40 miles past "0 miles remaining", gives us 51 miles and with my vans MPG that would be about 2.08 gallons remaining. Each vehicle/driver is different, though, so MPG and miles traveled will be different for everyone. Safe assumption that there's around 2 gallons remaining when it's telling you 0 miles left, not that you should dip into it, of course.