Ford Transit Connect Forum

Removing factory side door window screens

I'm looking to tint the side windows of my new 2021 Cargo van. It appears the factory mounted screen is riveted on!

Do I need to drill the rivets out or what to remove the screens? Is there a neat and tidy way to remount them?

No, mine didn't have screens installed factory, I just drilled them in, no trouble. Now, to remove the rivets, simply choose a drill bit slightly larger than the head of the rivet and drill it off. The rest of it will fall into the door cavity, I guess. Take the screen off and tint your window. If you want to replace the screen, just screw in self-drilling screws a hair larger then the hole  created from the rivet removal. The metal is pretty thin so you can always choose a larger screw.

Or sell the screens on the secondary market. I'd trade good value for a driver-side, SWB OEM screen :)

When I drill rivets, I always use a drill bit that's roughly halfway in-between the shank size & overall head size - because it will "cut" the head right off the shank for you. I've never damaged the riveted piece by doing so, either.