Ford Transit Connect Forum

120v ac to 12vdc plus charger for vehicle & accessorybattery

rodent 66

I see there are a lot of choices out there for units that are separate, all-in-one converters/chargers etc. what I need is -when I’m plugged into shore power (120vac) I will need to run my 120v appliances, 12vdc fan, etc plus charge the accessory battery, the main vehicle start battery and have breakers/fuses for each side (120vac /12vdc). Any personal suggestions on brands/types, etc info will be appreciated. I want to have (30 amp main) feeding a 15 and two 10 amp breakers for 120vac and a variety of 12vdc fuses 20,10,7.5,5,2 amp. What to use, what not to use. No solar will be used. Thanks.

For the 12V side, just wire it all directly to the accessory/leisure battery through a fuse panel so the accessories can easily be used anytime. Then use a smart charger (configured properly for your battery) to charge the battery when you're plugged into shore power - there may even be units that can support two battery banks so one unit would smart-charge the accessory & chassis batteries independently. I haven't researched them myself, so I can't say for sure what's out there. For all-in-one units, the RV market has lots of options in different capacities & sizes, available on Amazon, Ebay, etc. If going AIO, you'd maybe want to find one meant for a small pop-up camper since a TC doesn't have a lot of room to work with; the units meant for full-size campers are going to have a whole lot more capacity & overall size than you really need or want to deal with. 

Being pretty handy myself, I'd do a full DIY setup. 30-amp external connector going to a small circuit breaker box with probably 4 breakers in it - the 15 & two 10's you mentioned wanting, plus whatever size is needed for the smart charger to have it's own circuit (likely a 15-amp). I can't really imagine what you would need a 15 plus two 10's for in such a small van, though, lol.